1. Dear Guest, if you haven't already... enter to WIN Samplitude Pro X4!
    Dismiss Notice

ITB vs. passive summing OTB

Discussion in 'Summing / Mastering consoles' started by Kurt Foster, Nov 30, 2014.

1. rocksure

rocksure Active Member

Home Page:
    A few years ago I built a passive summing device into a two rack space chassis and put Ward Beck M450B summing amps into it for the final stage. It then gets routed through a compressor and back into my Mac. I love this setup and use it on every mix. Perhaps I could get the same sound if I stayed ITB after a bunch of tweaking plugins etc...but no need to because my chain as is gives me the sound I want. I guess it all comes back to our workflow and what we like as individuals.

Chris likes this.
  2. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    WB is one of those companies that somehow, and undeservedly I might add, fell through the cracks along the way.

I have no explanation as to why - I could make a guess, and suggest that they were pushed aside by other console manufacturers because they didn't look "sexy" enough...

ward+beck3.jpg

It does kinda look like a cheap prop from an Ed Wood movie. LOL.

But that has nothing to do with the sound.

I'm happy to read that at least one person is still using their components.

3. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

Canadian Neve.

4. rocksure

rocksure Active Member

Home Page:
    I have also racked up Ward Beck M470A and M490B preamps. Love them......as good as anything else out there. WBS stuff is awesome!