Joe Meek plug-in emulations and other clones - compariso

Discussion in 'Mixing & Song Critique' started by Alécio Costa - Brazil, Apr 10, 2003.

1. Alécio Costa - Brazil

Alécio Costa - Brazil Well-Known Member

Hi friends!
    I have just started evaluating Joe Meek classic compressor, model SC2, plug-in version for PT TDM systems, 5.x.x.

I have just finished some bass guitar recording sessions and I have been quite satisfied with this emulation. I wasable to achieve better resuts than with my old good 166(A) dbx units.

I had never used the real things. I imagine it is not exactly the same thing as the old good hardware, so a few questions:
    a) which instruments have you guys experienced using this unit, ending up with nice results?

b) How would you compare Joe Meek SC2 to LA 2A, Fairchild 660 ( both emulations from Erik´s BF), Drwamer Dynamics and Compressor banks from mcdsp?

I know it is a matter of testing every one of them, so let us make a little table:

Vocals
    Backing vocals
    Electric Guitar
    Pop Drums
    Rock Drums
    Keyboards
    Bass Guitar ( I preferred Joe Meek SC2)
    Acoustic Guitars
    stringed stuff like cellos, Violins

Thanks
    :)

2. Alécio Costa - Brazil

I have read somewhere that Pt users are big fan of 660, sometimes usingacombi of it with C4 and L2.

Anyone else with me on this boat?
    :roll:

3. Alécio Costa - Brazil

I know this post should be at the plugin page. sorry. anyway..