John Hardy preamp info?

Discussion in 'Preamps / Channel Strips' started by hollywood_steve, Oct 8, 2001.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

1. hollywood_steve

hollywood_steve Active Member

Am I just not looking in the right place, or is the Hardy company the last holdout from this new fangled internet-thing? I can understand not liking how the WWW turned the old 'net into a dumb relative of television, but it IS a very good way to make product info available to potential customers. Where can I get Hardy product info?

steve
    sjp@pacbell.net

2. planet red

planet red Active Member

I think the only way is to call him. Look in any mix magazine and you'll see his number.

3. adc004

adc004 Guest

John's phone number is: (847)864-8060

4. PlugHead

PlugHead Active Member

FWIW,

John is not computer friendly, and had talked about getting a site up - 2 yrs later, still nothing. He's great to call - a real nice fellow, and does transactions over the phone as well.

It's always nice to talk to the guy at the other end who makes your equipment: a real great fellow, and isn't a pushy sales weasel for his own stuff, he'll give you his full attention.

PS IMHO, if you decide to purchase, get what he calls "the deluxe" - transformer In and Out: I've heard both versons; the "deluxe" is the way to go!

YMMV,

Jay
    PlugHead Productions

5. markrpaulson

markrpaulson Guest

It's not that he's computer friendly- he's just not friendly with computers made in the last decade. All his scematics and whatnot are on ancient Hewlett Packards, and last I spoke with him he was working on writing some sort of conversion software to get his stuff online- he does own the appropriate URLs. I actually picked my M-1s up from his house, and he was wonderfully cordial (although it was a bit like the mad professor and his laboratory--he does have a passion for his work).

For the M-1,The four space rack power supply is ~$525, each channel is $350. The VU-1 meter card, which is a 20 segment LED card with separate peak LED is $130 per channel, and the JT-11-BMQ output transformer is $100 (which is pretty much at cost). Every component is easily retro-fitted-- I've got a 2 channel M-1, no meters, no transformers, but all the jumpers are right there, so if i wanted, I could snap it an output transformer or a meter card at any time. Same with the channel modules- I'm planning on getting two more soon.
    BTW, the M-2 differs from the M-1 in that its gain knob is stepped, and whereas the M-1 has a High Gain button (changing the gain pot's range from 12-40db to 32-60db), the M-2 offers either an impedance switch or a 20db pad.

6. hi,
    I think some fellow from RAP build a site some time ago for him. it has some basic infos and prices.
    anyway, john is one of the nicest person I know in the audio industry, and his products are UNBELIAVABLE!!
    I have a 2 channel M1, very basic, with input trannies and peak led. It was very cheap (around 1350$, IIRC), and teh sound is pristine. Clear, large, transparent.
    As soon as you start to stack some tracks made with the Hardy, you get the picture.

ciao
    ronnie
    quattroseiotto|recording

7. here it is:

http://www.imjohn.com/JohnHardy/

anyway, just ask john to send you the literature about his products. it is a very interesting reading.

ciao
    ronnie
    quattroseiotto|recording