Kick drum mic

Discussion in 'Drums' started by Kuzan, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Wooly

Wooly Guest

My RE 20 is a good mic I like it for floor tom tom more than kicks (historically). I'm glad I have one, but I really need to do more recording this winter though- you guys are GOOD. My chops are lacking, but they always seemed on the dry side for me. It's been awhile since I've used mine, so I'm going from memory and my studio has changed quite a bit *for the better* since I've used it.

2. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

I would have put the RE20 on my list....It just never made that much of a dent in the drum mic collection. There was always something available that sounded better....

HOWEVER....for micing most anything else...its very sweet..

Dry....yes..accurate....yes..... BIGTIME proximity boost....OH YEAH!

Any one here ever do banjos or other types of dangerous instruments?

Do your stereo pair or mic technique for the sound and then stick that RE2o out in the room a few feet out....hook it through a nice clean high gain pre....Summitt,True Systems, John Hardy....etc..And watch yer banjo sound like it owns all the space around it...

3. Wooly

Wooly Guest

I have a good friend that is a helluva banjo player- I will give that techniqu a try if he ever records in my place... which would be a good excuse for us to get together. Thanks.

4. Markd102

Markd102 Well-Known Member

That's pretty much my method for mandolin

5. Davedog

Yeah...Except these days I'm really happening on the 4033. In the same position.

Not that I dont still feel some affection for the RE20....In this post I used it to illustrate a usage for it... glad to see theres so many 'alternative' instrument micing techniques going on.

Dont get me wrong....I love getting that electric guitar sound as much as anyone...but catching a well-made acoustic instrument and giving it a size and some life no matter what the composition is doing is a good thing....in my book.

Love the 4033 on the mando all alone....but thats another thread.

6. Markd102

Well the mando I record regularly isn't the best quality instrument, so condensers pick up a little too much rubbish. So adding the (in my case) RE38 really helps to get more tone and less strum, if you know what I mean.

7. soundelux u195

8. Davedog

"Soundelux U195"........not to be rude but ....DUH!....Also three times the price of all of the kick drum mics mentioned here....

One of my personal favorite mics....

9. multoc

multoc Active Member

Use the beta 52 ultra close to the batter head inside the drum then if u have the inputs use a condensor on the outside of the kick in phase of course! then once u have the tracks recorded make sure to flip the phase of those mics and you'll get a great phat kick drum sound with all the click and low end you'll need

10. Alécio Costa - Brazil

Alécio Costa - Brazil Well-Known Member

hi

I would suggest:
    1)SM91/Beta 91

2)Audix D6

3)Beta52

I am not a big fan of the vintage 112, D12.
    p.s.I have not tested those ATM mics.

11. jonyoung

jonyoung Well-Known Member

Man, I love my Sennheiser e602. Lots of tight, punchy low end. The D112 always sounds like a cardboard box to me, no offense intended to loyal users. I was interested to see that Markd102 has an EV RE38, I bought one a few years ago at a bankruptcy sale of a local music store. Best snare mic I've ever used! Anyone else have one in their locker? What uses?

12. Markd102

I love the RE38. I'm always on the lookout for another.
    It's not far from the RE20 in sound, but it is much more practical in its design. You can get it into places where the RE20 simply won't fit.

I use it on heaps of things. Drums, horns, amps, vocals etc.

13. Digger

Digger Guest

Ditto on the E602, it's may fav kick mic out of many the standards that I have tried - I have been meaning to try the E902 for quite some time, glad to hear it sounds great.

14. dabhoys

dabhoys Guest

My favourite is the D6 :)