Kick/Snare Compressor

Discussion in 'Drums' started by UTS, Jun 19, 2001.

1. coldsnow

coldsnow Active Member

Sorry for rambling last time, I tend to do that when I've had a couple beers. Anyway, I can't say I've tried these but I read tons of reviews, and the HHB Fatman ($400) got an excellent review in Pro Audio (I think) for drums particularly(suppose to be real warm). Also, The E.Musicians article I talked about earlier, suggested that the JoeMeek stuff ($300-600 stuff made some real nice sounds on snare and bass drum) Again, these are only things I've read and I have personally not tried either so take them for what you wish to. Sorry, for mentioning such lower priced stuff in this forum you guys but I'm just trying to answer the original question.

2. Jon Best

Jon Best Active Member

I've got a pair of DBX 163X's that surprise me occasionally, especially on snare drum- you can usually find them around $50 each. Worthwhile little half rack, one-slider thingies. I don't think they'd be all that good for any sort of normal kick drum sound, though.

3. UTS

UTS Guest

Hello guys,

thanks for the load of posts, which showed me a couple of good directions. Actually I have rethought about purchasing the DBX 160. I figured out it has no Attack/Release Controls (correct me if I am wrong). I often "form" percussive sounds with these controls so they really wouldn't be first choice. The API's sound very interesting - though very hard to get in Europe. Joe Meek sounds also like an interesting alternative. Had the chance to test and SC2 a couple of weeks ago - very rock'n'roll!
    Coldsnow, what's wrong talking about gear that may not cost a fortune but delivers the goods nevertheless? I think, we all would love to work with Avalon,Manley, Neves exclusively but owning a medium sized underground studio I just can't afford them for now, so I search for good, cheaper alternatives and don't feel sorry for that in any way. You americans seem to be obsessed about brandnames, really...

See you,

Markus

4. coldsnow

coldsnow Active Member

Actually, I couldn't agree more. I have a very little amount of high priced gear but most of my stuff is middle line as well and I am very happy with it. I made that comment because few weeks ago, on this forum, I asked about Joemeek, Art etc. and got blasted by the gearsnobs for daring to bring them up. By the way I think HHB goes by TL audio in England.

5. coldsnow

coldsnow Active Member

Actually, I'd like to own both pieces. Good luck, Mike.

6. Big Toe

Big Toe Guest

Hey Mike-

I have one of the TL Audio C-1's. Eh...not too thrilling to me after almost a year of monkeying with it. Might be different than the Fat Man but same company....

You ever wanna check it out - I'm up in Cleveland. Isn't Mogadore near here?

Peace.

PS- oh... and no es bueno on kick and snare to me at all. i found mine for 850 bucks used.

7. mixfactory

mixfactory Member

Hey UTS,

A pair of DBX160(VU) compressors are more than $500-$1000. In your earlier post, that was the range you were looking to spend. If you can afford a pair, than the better buy would be a Distressor and a 160X. It will be probably about the same cost($1600). The Distressor is probably the most versatile compressor out right now(probably the most versatile is a Neve 32264a, but that's way beyond your price point). While the DBX160(VU's) are great compressors(acoustic guitars,some vocals,certain kicks and snares, and sometimes bass), my opinion is you'll get a more bang for your buck with the latter purchase I mentioned.
    Just an opinion.

8. alphajerk

alphajerk Active Member

see if you can swing a distressor for a higher end sound. the joe meek is very colorful. i have even used a ZOOM 9000 guitar digibox on a snare once for its compressor. play with some and see if they do what you like. ^#$% the gear snobbery. use anything that will allow you to accomplish your goal.

and the hhb [tlaudio] are very "soft" compressors TME, dont do what i like for transient stuff. they can do nice sounds on guitars though. i can make those RNC's work really well for drums though, i never insert comps on drums, only mult. shitty drummers need not apply.

9. Jon Best

Jon Best Active Member

Originally posted by alphajerk:

<snip>

i can make those RNC's work really well for drums though, i never insert comps on drums, only mult. shitty drummers need not apply.

Well, shitty drummers not applying would be nice, but sometimes you have to work with what walks in the door.... :)

10. alphajerk

alphajerk Active Member

i meant shitty drummers need not apply to that statement but wouldnt it be wonderful if they didnt walk in the door? [although there are a few drummers i wont let in my studio any longer]

shitty drummers i more than not either have to be VERY creative on how they are mixed in [meaning not the usualy placement in the mix] or insert a compressor inline.

actually that is the one place i highly recommend the use of sound replacer. at least you get consistant velocity/tone...

11. Rick Powell

Rick Powell Guest

UTS,

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Aphex Expressor. Variable attack/release, SPR (lo-frequency phase switch) and it also has a switchable hi-frequency make-up gain circuit (with selectable frequency) that adds sparkle back into a track that is dulled by compression. Very versatile for kick and snare at about $450 new (1 channel) and I've seen them around used in the low $200's (US). It has character, a little snappier tone-wise than the 160x series.

RP

12. Jon Best

Jon Best Active Member

Yeah, I just tracked a guy for a short demo yesterday who is a decent drummer in a lot of ways, but is ALL OVER THE MAP when it comes to kick drum levels. First guy I've had in a while that makes me want to figure out a way to trigger. It's crazy- I stuck a compressor on the kick, and even with 3-6 dB of gain reduction on many hits, he's got an 8-10 dB swing and a HUGE tonal variation. Gonna be fun....

Sound Replacer is PT specific, right?

i meant shitty drummers need not apply to that statement but wouldnt it be wonderful if they didnt walk in the door? [although there are a few drummers i wont let in my studio any longer]

shitty drummers i more than not either have to be VERY creative on how they are mixed in [meaning not the usualy placement in the mix] or insert a compressor inline.

actually that is the one place i highly recommend the use of sound replacer. at least you get consistant velocity/tone...

13. MPlancke

MPlancke Member

Originally posted by UTS:
    Hello guys,

thanks for the load of posts, which showed me a couple of good directions. Actually I have rethought about purchasing the DBX 160. I figured out it has no Attack/Release Controls (correct me if I am wrong). I often "form" percussive sounds with these controls so they really wouldn't be first choice. Markus

Actually I see the lack of attack and release controls on the DBX160's as a blessing. Hey, it doesn't work on everything but what it does work on it does very well. I really like em on kick and sometimes snare. I've been leaning towards a DBX160XT on snare recently and it's worked out nicely in most cases. They're definitely not transparent sounding but they sound great in certain applications where you want that paticular coloration.

If you're looking for a more flexable box definitely check out the EL-8 Distressor. It does many things quite well, almost like a swiss army knife type of thing.

14. Kevin F. Rose

Kevin F. Rose Active Member

Distressors are awesome on drums. Period. Add a 160 for the wet fish kick drum sound and you're there.
    One of my fave tricks for the distressor is to run a bus of kick, sn, sometimes OH's and bass and blend it's squashed splendor in to glue the rhythm section together and provide a foundation in Mono.

15. radiophonic

radiophonic Guest

Originally posted by Jon Best:

[snip]

Sound Replacer is PT specific, right?

I think so... if you can use DirectX, I've heard good things about http://www.drumagog.com/

Regards,

Graham

16. alphajerk

alphajerk Active Member

soundreplacer is an AudioSuite plug. you can run it on Peak also, or you can run it on the free version of PT and import the track into whatever DAW you use.

17. Jon Best

Jon Best Active Member

Ah. Oh well, I'm in Digital Performer when I'm digital- I am sure there's something similar out there, and at some point I may go find it...

soundreplacer is an AudioSuite plug. you can run it on Peak also, or you can run it on the free version of PT and import the track into whatever DAW you use.

18. alphajerk

alphajerk Active Member

im in DP also, just run it off Peak [which is free] and import it into the session. but i know what you mean, i wish Motu would get their own version of it or allow SR to be used as a premiere plug or with MAS so you can just do it within DP.

19. JingleJungle

JingleJungle Guest

UTS-

you can find API stuff at FunkyJunk http://www.funkyjunk.co.uk

I believe they've got a sales rep in F'kfurt.

'Tchuss

Paul