Latency varies from cubase to sonar???

Discussion in 'Converters / Interfaces' started by unclejemima, Feb 24, 2007.

1. unclejemima

unclejemima Active Member

Hi all, i'm new on this forum. Hope i posted in the right area. I look forward to this great site! :D :D

I had to reformat (stupid virus!) my computer(PC), so i re-installed cubase sx3. Since then I have been having HUGE latency issues when using VST's.

Under "device setup" cubase lists my Imput latency at 110.000ms and Output latency at 749.932ms!!! This is BRUTAL. :(

All my audio drivers and so on are bang on current. Funny thing, i have been thinking about going to Sonar, so i gave it a try. I dont mind it, but i learned on cubase and i will stay with it. BUT when i had both cubase and sonar installed, the SAME vst would run BEAUTIFUL, with very low latency, probably in the low 3-5ms range when using Sonar. Then when i fireup cubase, same VST, HUGE latency.

Any idea what could cause this? I am using a garbage onboard sound card, this probably does not help, i will upgrade later, but why would sonar run with lower latency than cubase???

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
    God bless,
    -mark :D

2. dementedchord

dementedchord Well-Known Member

first lose the sound card.. get a real interface... second what happens when you change the buffers manually????

3. unclejemima

unclejemima Active Member

Thank you for the reply.
    Yes, i know the soundcard is a weakpoint. I am getting an Alesis IO26, running it into my firewire card. Do i still have to upgrade my soundcard if i use the Alesis IO26 to run the audio?

I have tried adjusting the buffers, with no real success, but i am unsure as of how to properly change them. Any tips?

Its still weird that Sonar is running it better than cubase?!

I greatly appreciate any advice,
    Thank you,
    -mark

4. KingSix

KingSix Active Member

Home Page:
    Alesio OI26 is ASIO compatible? change ASIO source in Cubase to Asio Alesis driver.

5. Plainfaced

Plainfaced Guest

I reccomend Sonar 6. Ive been a user since version 3. Yes I suppose I am biased, but hey...

6. dementedchord

dementedchord Well-Known Member

there should be an adjustment under controll panel for the sound card