Leslie Tremolo Unit

Discussion in 'Mixing & Song Critique' started by Tuck, Sep 10, 2007.

  1. Tuck

    Tuck Active Member

    May 27, 2004
    Boise, Idaho
    Home Page:
    So i pulled the rotating Leslie out of an organ and i want to be able to hook it up with my guitar amps. It has an 8" speaker thats 35 watts, i think. Anyone know were i could get a hold of something that would convert a large signal down to something like that? I also need a power supply and a way to control the 2 speeds that it can run at. Anyone know where i could find something like that too?
    There are 3 pairs of wires:
    -Speaker wires
    -(Fast) motor
    -(Slow) motor

  2. moonbaby

    moonbaby Mmmmmm Well-Known Member

    Feb 23, 2005
    I have done this a couple of times with various organs (Conn, Hammond), and with varying results. Instead of taking up space in the Pro Audio Gear section, PM me and I'll get you started in the right direction. Drop me a line and get ready for some fun!
  3. I know how to do this as well. You can just run a small guitar amp into the speaker. To switch the motors use a solid state relay for each motor and foot switch a 9v supply to flip from one relay or the other. The solid state relays will be noisless and you won't need a surpressor cap across the motor terminals.
    You will have to keep the unit mounted sideways on or the slow motor may not engage and release properly. You can fit a small spring, but this is where it gets a little more complicated.
    It's only a full range speaker though and you won't get the full opposing doppler shift of a top horn/lower drum of a 147/122 leslie. Dave.

Share This Page