Live mic for loud singers?

Discussion in 'Vocalists' started by multoc, Feb 21, 2009.

1. multoc

multoc Active Member

So my band played a show the other night, and afterwards the FOH came to my singer and told him he should use some mic that works well with loud singers (?)

I didn't hear this aside but my singer said all he remembered was it goes for about $180...

I call BS, but if anyone has an idea of this mic let me know!

Thanks!

2. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

Well, sine the FOH guy was listening to your singer, he at least had the kind of information needed to make a good recommendation. So I'd find out the name of the mic and see if you can try one out. Nothing comes to mind in the $180 price range. Usually, loud male vocals sound fine through an SM58, but if I was not satisfied with that I'd be looking at other dynamics like the SM7, RE-20, and MK421. Those are closer to $400.

3. multoc

multoc Active Member

Sorry I failed to mention our sound was terrible haha!

4. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

This could be a clue.

5. sheet

sheet Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    If he is using a dynamic, then I would say you need a new FOH mixer. Maybe his mic is broken and he is distorting it, you are using cheap padless pres and they are overloading, or the guy is a goober and cannot set up proper gain structure, etc. Give the guy a 58 and call it a day. If you have the bucks do an Audix 6 or 7.

6. moonbaby

moonbaby Mmmmmm Well-Known Member

I keep an Audix OM-7 in the rack drawer just in case I run across a really loud stage act with a leather-lunged singer. Very tight pattern keeps the Marshall stacks out of the fray. $180.00, and I'll bet you that's what he was recommending.

7. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Member

A Shure SM58 cannot be overloaded. The engineer however can get overloaded which sounds like the problem. The SM58 will set you back a whopping $100 US.

If he's really that freaking loud? You might want to attempt to use a direct box, with a sex changer XLR adapter into a line input. This only pertains to a transformer D. I. box. The DI box running backwards will provide 10 DB of amplification. This would certainly do the trick for a singer with no musical finesse.

Brings new meaning to the term "mike/line"
    Ms. Remy Ann David

8. jg49

jg49 Well-Known Member

If he's that loud, Remy you think he needs a sex change?

9. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

I'm with Moon on this one. OM-7. Pure loud jackass magic.

10. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Member

Yeah, that's what he needs a sex change. That should make him about an octave higher. We could use another Maria Callas, since she has been dead and gone a while now.

I'd like to color my tour a while when I sing
    Ms. Remy Ann David

11. multoc

multoc Active Member

I don't know what the guys problem was, but from watching the videos it sounds like he had no idea how to run a compressor either, because when I record my singer i get no overload, though he is very dynamic....

I should have brought my 58, I usually do but I figured this club would be legit, but when I saw the half crushed no name microphones I realized I was wrong lol!

I'll post a video sometime so you can hear this disaster!

12. Imaginaryday

Imaginaryday Active Member

if he is that loud, then why use a mic?! javascript:emoticon(':lol:')

Audix OM-7 or SM58

13. davidblair

davidblair Guest

The singer can also use the microphone with more thought. Proximity to the mic is part of being a good singer.

I've never used the Audix mic so can't say. I can recommend the Sennheiser 609. It's a flat, rectangle shape made with guitar amps in mind so can handle very loud sources well. Stevie Ray used one for vocals for a while, Robben Ford for his Fender Twin at a recent show. I use mine for my amp. Surprisingly good vocal sound. Very smooth.
    The Senn 609 costs about $110. For $180 I would spend just a bit more for the Shure Beta 87A, a true condensor. My Neumann KMS105 cost $500. but worth buying. The sound is so detailed-words only begin. Every singer should have one.
    My band is acoustic but for electric bands the SM58 works fine if you're not taping your shows.