Logic Audio won't let go

Discussion in 'Mixing' started by tundrkys, Jun 26, 2002.

1. tundrkys

tundrkys Guest

Hey, I got a problem ya see. If I use logic audio, and try to go to another program(wmp,Sonar,acid, whatever) I get an error saying the program couldn't open the audio device. I have to restart the machine.
    Now after restarting, I can open any of these programs, close them and then move on to the next one, with no problem. I can then start up Logic Audio, but the problem arises again when I try another program.
    I am using my ANUS, with win98se. And a Lexicon Core2.

2. Tommy P.

Tommy P. Well-Known Member

In SONAR there is a setting to "share resources with other apps". There may be a similar setting in LOGIC's labrynth of a menu, but I'm not sure. :confused: Or a way to stop LOGIC's engine by some kind of ctrl-alt-delete?

3. Opus2000

Opus2000 Well-Known Member

No, the problem being that the Core2 is not multi-client...in other words it CAN NOT work with multiple programs...you need a card that will allow this..
    Opus

4. tundrkys

tundrkys Guest

Opus, I was pretty sure that was the problem, but wishing that it wasn't so.
    I guess the other programs don't have this problem, because they aren't using the Asio driver directly, I think they go through a windows audio mapper or something. When I get home, I'll look to see if there is a way to set up Logic to work that way.
    I know what you are thinking, that I should have an enormous latency problem working this way, but the Core2 allows for direct monitoring, so I have no latency issues at all.
    I know, I know, get another card. I will, it will just be awhile. I just dropped $500 this year alone on recording programs($150 for Sonar, $299 for LogicGold 4.8(openBox)). Another $200 on a used bass, and $600 on an old Crown piano. I think I have reached the furthest edge of my wifes tolerance.
    What kinda card will be multiClient, I would like to have four inputs, I won't need more than the two main outs, and at least a mic pre would be nice.

5. Opus2000

Well, in order to have a true multi-client card you will need more than two outputs..this is how that works..by each program using a pair of outputs...
    RME, Echo and Delta are some of the multi-client cards
    Opus

6. tundrkys

tundrkys Guest

So I guess I would also need a mixer huh? Cool, I always wanted a bunch of sliders on my desk.

7. Opus2000

Yeah...I use a Mackie 1402 as my mixer...love it..it's nice to have an external mixer for things like that...I use Recycle as my 3 and 4 outs on my echo card and Nuendo with Reason on my 1 and 2 outputs...then I can use Wavelab on my 5 and 6 outputs...
    Opus