looking for help with a specific contract

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MightyFaulk, Apr 20, 2009.

  1. MightyFaulk

    MightyFaulk Active Member

    Oct 26, 2007
    hello all,

    I'm looking for a contract to give unsigned bands before recording in my studio. The contract needs to be an agreement that covers all services I will provide (recording / producing) as well as stating that proper credits must be given on the album. Finally, the contract should detail that should the unsigned artist be picked up by a record label and their music is distributed that I should received compensation (for the songs I've recorded and produced). I've had to sign a contract like this before so I know such a thing exists I just haven't found one that covers all those grounds. I've browsed through http://www.musiccontracts.com but I am not certain if any of them match exactly what I'm looking for. If anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated.

  2. fourone3

    fourone3 Active Member

    Jan 17, 2007
    I'm just going to poke my head here with some thoughts because I'd be interested to find an answer to your question as well.

    It sounds like it'd be a royalty contract of sorts. I'd imagine it'd have to be a contract that is drafted for the purpose of your intentions. Maybe contacting an entertainment lawyer would be the best route?

    Either way, I'd like to find out as well :)
  3. Thomas W. Bethel

    Thomas W. Bethel Distinguished Member

    Dec 12, 2001
    Oberlin, OH
    Home Page:
    If you signed a contract you should have been given a copy of it. Why don't you just paraphrase the contract you signed and remembered in your own terms. We hired a lawyer to do our contract and it cost us about $100 for his work. One hundred dollars over the 15 years we have been in business is a small amount.
  4. MightyFaulk

    MightyFaulk Active Member

    Oct 26, 2007
    yeah I wish I still had a copy of that contract I don't anymore. I was interested to see if anyone had experience with a similar contract but it sounds like I will have to draft my own and have a lawyer make sure it's legitimate.

Share This Page