Looking for Neutrik TRS/XLR combo jacks. Any leads?

Discussion in 'Accessories / Connections' started by Kemble, Apr 20, 2005.

  1. Kemble

    Kemble Member

    Mar 4, 2002
    I am building a custom patchbay for my preamps and compressor. All of which are 1/3 rack sizes (no, they are not tiny Universal Audio preamps.... :roll: )

    Instead of wiring a XLR and TRS for the balanced lines in, those combos from Neutrik would be the best thing. I don't even know if its OK to just wire a TRS jack and XLR up together to common lines (ganged 1, 2, 3).

    Any help is appreciated.
  2. moonz

    moonz Guest

    Markertek.com, possibly...they are a major supplier to the broadcasting industry...or so they claim.

    They've had a good selection of Neutrik products in the past.
  3. zemlin

    zemlin Well-Known Member

    Sep 4, 2004
    Indianapolis, IN
    Home Page:
    http://www.fullcompass.com also has a good selection of neutrik.
  4. anonymous

    anonymous Guests

    Feb 10, 2001
    I get my neutrik from
  5. Vince Jaeger

    Vince Jaeger Guest

  6. JBsound

    JBsound Guest

    Definitely http://www.redco.com. They have the best selection, prices, and service from what I can tell. Parts Express is close, but not quite.

    Chris at Redco has always gotten my stuff to me fast and answered questions, handled problems, etc.
  7. Kemble

    Kemble Member

    Mar 4, 2002
    Thanks everyone.
    At the Redco site right now. $2.23 for the XLR/TRS combo.
    $2.35 for the normalized one.

    Which brings me to...
    What does normalizing it do?
  8. bluesman714

    bluesman714 Guest

    xlr / trs

    I am in the process of racking up some channel strips. I went to the Parts Express site & they do have several different XLR/TRS pannel mount jacks listed....so I will ask the same question as the original poster.....which one should I use for mic pre input?
  9. moonz

    moonz Guest

    If I understand the term "normalized" as it relates to audio connectors correctly, then:

    Normalized jacks would be for use in building a conventional patchbay, where convention dictates a row of input jacks and a row of output jacks...in this design you'd want the in-jacks and the out-jacks connected electrically, so, I assume normalized TRS/XLR combo jacks might have an additional conductor terminal?... and... this extra terminal would be for connecting (shorting) the jacksets together?...and...if you'd just be wanting to use the jacks as simple inputs, then you wouldn't need jacks with this extra conductor terminal?

    I've had zero experience with building patchbays, so I'm actually sort of guessing.

    The concept of "normalled" audio connections gets pretty weird, and I don't pretend to have a vast knowledge of it.

  10. JBsound

    JBsound Guest

    Ok, for the panel mounts, I would go to this website:


    He has some really good panel mounts. They have threads on the actual panel mount so you don't have to use any nuts. This makes a pretty big difference whenever you have a bunch to do. Plus they're easier to change because you can leave everything soldered and just switch that particular panel mount to a different spot on the panel, etc.

    Then, I usually get the "DP" label plates from Redco. You can get them to print just about any label you want on there. I'd also buy the rack panel from the guy at TrikTags. I've done several racks with this method from 2-space racks with one pre to mobile shock-mounted racks with 18 spaces, etc. It's really a good system. The guys at both TrikTags and Redco will give you great customer service and about the best prices. I'm going to try and upload one pic of a rack with these products.

    Oh yeah...for regular mic cable stuff, the NC3MX and NC3FX from Neutrik are the least expensive and they still get the job done. Easy to solder also.
  11. JBsound

    JBsound Guest

    There's a shot of one of my panels. Redco's labeling plates now come in different colors also.

Share This Page