M/S with Royer R-121?

Discussion in 'Microphones (live or studio)' started by PlugHead, Aug 5, 2001.

• Royer ribbon microphones - Why?

Simply put, when you put a quality ribbon mic on an instrument, voice, or other sound source, what you hear on playback is closer to real sound in nature than with any other kind of microphone.

1. PlugHead

PlugHead Active Member

Hello,

Any experiences with this mic in this config? I am particularly wanting to try mine in overhead position for drum kit, with a Soundelux U-99 as the M, and hoping it'll cure edginess I've sometimes found with condensers on cymbal-proud drummers.

Thanks in advance, and love this virtual community!

Jay
    PlugHead Productions

2. KyleSong

KyleSong Guest

Ive had excellent results using the Royer R-121 as the "Side" mic in an M/S configuration with a U87 in omni as the "Mid" mic.

The Royer was very detailed, and gave a great 3 dimensional image, and the high frequency punch came from the 87, where the Royer was rolled off, the other mic complemented very nicely.

I had great results using this configuration as a room, or front of kit pair - I haven't had enough experience doing M/S for overheads specifically to comment on that tho.

3. bassetsound

bassetsound Guest

How about a KM184 as the "mid" microphone? I've used it (actually, it was before I bought the KM184 -- I used a Microtech Gefell M300, very similar) with a CAD E300 set to "figure 8". I'm looking forward to using my new Royer for the latter, but will be "stuck" with a KM184 (or TLM103) for the "mid" task. I've got a track planned for this that I may get to on Sunday, and if I do, I'll report back. It will be a live trio of acoustic guitar, vocal, and brushed snare.

4. Bear's Gone Fission

Bear's Gone Fission Active Member

Might not matter much in this app, but I understand the R-121 sounds different on each face of it's figure eight. A lot of lower priced multi-pattern condensors are challenged in trying to produce a precise figure eight pattern. Depending on your app this could be either cool or a pain. I guess the way to find out is to turn your side mic around and see if you hear a difference.

Bear

• Royer ribbon microphones - Why?

Simply put, when you put a quality ribbon mic on an instrument, voice, or other sound source, what you hear on playback is closer to real sound in nature than with any other kind of microphone.