Make 2 inputs in Soundblaster??!!

Discussion in 'Microphones (live or studio)' started by radioliver, Nov 12, 2003.

  • AT5047

    The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

  1. radioliver

    radioliver Guest

    I have a soundblaster meaning i only have 1 input. I was wondering if i can plug 2 mics in a normal sound system amplifier (one L and one R) and then send the stereo signal in my soundblaster to get a stereo recording of let's say drums??? anyone knows if that would work. I have the amplifier and the 2 mics so i would only need XLR to RCA cables to send the mic signal in the amplifier and then RCA to 1/8 inch to send the amplified stereo signal in my soundblaster.
  2. TimOBrien

    TimOBrien Active Member

    Jan 19, 2003
    Your SoundBlaster has one STEREO input.

    That means actually two: One Left and One Right

    You can take two pre-amped mics (or two channels from a mixer) and send them to the inputs on the SoundBlaster.

    On your recording software, pan them hard left and right to a stereo file and then split it OR have it record two mono files from the left and right inputs... but those settings depend on what recording software you're using...
  3. lionyouth

    lionyouth Guest

    first you need to upgrade...and get yourself soundforge to create an edit the waveform...but it will never be true stereo if you split it so what my friend above me says and then switch mics into another recording or make left right and right left...get niether!......if you do not understand get a new soundcard..thats what I did...and hey distressing you but if you have a soundblaster your buget is as low as mine not as go out an get a delta66 or 44 and do your thing or even an audigy by sounblaster go in little jack and also in round tv jack....for the techs out there rca and 1/32 or is it 1/8 or 1/16......who cares....oops I forgot soundbaster....d onlyt alows one input at a time.....but you know as well as I do your mics are mono
  4. by

    by Guest

    LOL don't confuse the man! :)

    radioliver yes you can do this. timobrien was correct. This can be done using ANY soundcard that has a LINE-IN - ussually found on the back of the computer. Just be careful when setting levels, the soundcard's line input is likely to be at a -10dBu reference point, meaning it's more sensative to the incoming signal - meant for recording low-level output devices things like cd walkmen and consumer type stuff. Being that your amplifier uses RCA cables for everything, I'm guessing you might be fine. Just start out with the amps volume turned down and slowly bring it up.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice