1. Dear Guest, if you haven't already... enter to WIN Samplitude Pro X4!
    Dismiss Notice

making music with computers is bollocks....?

Discussion in 'Computing' started by lance thomas, Jan 4, 2004.

1. Dr.Blackwell

Dr.Blackwell Guest

I too love the smell of 456..

I run 2" 16 track,-1" 8 track,-1/2" 4 track,1/4" 2 track,and best of all 1/2" 2 track, all at 30ips....I get into some 996 from time to time too..
    I live for the day that something sounds better than 1/2" 2 track 996 at 30ips....
    I think this is the way pro recording should be done...but I am old...
    It just sounds good to me...

2. Kind of like a lot of things, eh? My wife and I just bought a home built in 1909 that we're fixing up. After digging in and seeing how this thing was built, I don't think I could ever live in a modern home again. So much care went into those old houses and there is so much charm. Sure, there is a lot of maintenence too (I'm re-doing the entire main bathroom right now, right down to the floor joists) but they just don't build them like that anymore...

And if you wanted to, it would cost too much.

"What, you want REAL wood?!" :confused: The floors in our house are real, solid, 3/4 inch oak.

Try buying that nowadays.

3. maintiger

maintiger Well-Known Member

I am thankful for computers and daws- I do love having a studio at home that sounds good, where I can lay some tracks withour worrying about the clock. I know its a two edge sword and people turn out a lotta crap in their home studios but what isn't two sided in life? You sift through the bad and take the good and run!

heck, if there werent home studios out there either daws or all in the box type of things, we probably wouldn't be having this forum today. This is a wonderful place where many talented, profesional and knowledgeable people share their knowledge of their craft... with whom? Mostly with people who are learning the craft in their home daws!

That is the nature of our race- the human that is- and one of our shining virtues- we share- the student learns and eventually becomes the teacher, the techer learns and eventually becomes the sage, always passing the knowledge along to the next group down the line-

so, if you have an analog set up you like, track away to your hearts content, may your tracks be fruitfull and multiply! And if you have a daw, track away and may your art advance!

peace :D

4. I personally haven't had the privelage of working in the various analog formats (well maybe some 8track stuff way back when).
    I plunged head-on into the bleeding edge of the MDM revolution with the old blackface ADATS. Now I'm running DP3 on an OS9 Mac. What I've noticed from the beginning was the flatness (lack of depth, bredth, height and dimension) of digital.
    I set out to change that with good microphones, preamps, compressors, and converters. The Apogee AD-16 was the best converter I was willing to invest in, and to me digital still sounded flat.
    My next investment was a Crane Song HEDD192. It really does make a huge difference. The effect is subtle yet pervasive. For the most part, it adds the depth and dimension I've been looking for.
    For tracking multiple sources at once, I still use the AD-16, but on overdubs I'll use the HEDD192 with the process in (even with the process bypassed the HEDD converters are better sounding than the AD-16, which I guess is to be expected). Depending on what the material needs, I may process either individual elements or even entire mixes with the HEDD192 after the fact via digital I/O.
    All in all, yes- digital is a compromise; but it does bring it's own set of attractive attributes to the table.