Making the most of a small room

Discussion in 'Drums' started by Chris Perra, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Chris Perra

Chris Perra Active Member

Home Page:
    I agree it suits the rest of the tracks and the energy/vibe better. Pretty bizarre that that is the only thing I changed. It makes the snare less boxy and the toms open up more..

2. Chris Perra

Home Page:
    I've been mucking around with with my setup.. Same room etc.. Different mic placement and some other changes.. I'm looking for some opinions on phase as I've had some issues previously.. I'm not worried about the floor tom ringing too much or my snares taking off when I hit my first tom, that's just tuning and tweaking.

Attached Files:

3. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    It's also something that a lot of newer engineers seem to worry about more than they should - being far more familiar with using isolated samples than miking up real kits. A real drum kit is gonna have those little nuances; and it's not always bad to have them, either. I think your tracks sound good, although they are pretty hot in the mix you posted - then again you might have done that intentionally to make it easier for us to hear them.

There are a few things that I find to be crucial to getting a good drum kit sound...

The first is to have a well-tuned, great sounding set of drums.
    The second is to have a good drummer.
    The third is to have a good-sounding room to record them in.

I'm not hearing any issues with the sounds you are getting - other than maybe some minor EQ tweaking to add some presence to the snare and to take some of the boxiness out of it as well.
    ( If it were me, and I'm only speaking for what I would do - I'd not direct mic the hat, it sounds a bit too brash to me... I would use the overheads to grab the HH and make it more "silky" sounding, less in your face - at least for a song like this one - nor would I use a 57 on a snare's bottom head, and I think I'd probably raise the overheads up, too...)

IMHO of course.

4. Chris Perra

Home Page:
    Are you talking about the song with full band? I'm more interested in the latest one I posted. Just drums..no song per se.

5. DonnyThompson

Home Page:
    I was speaking in general terms, but my comments:

were mostly based upon your latest "drums only" audio file.

6. Chris Perra

Home Page:
    Cool wasn't sure as "As song like this one" had me confused.. Thanks for the listen... these are dry, raw tracks, no eq or comp etc.. I have the Oh's up alot as that's where I was getting some comb filtering previously and wanted to make sure they were dominant. I think there is some direct Hihat but not much. There's also some cymbal bleed in the tom mics as they are akg 214s I manually edit/gate them for a real mix.

7. pcrecord

pcrecord Quality recording seeker ! Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    Sounds good to me Chris ! once mixed it'll make a killer sound !! ;)

Altought, the best way to detect phase problems is to put everything in the center and play with the reverse phases of each track. If when reversing a mic, the sound of the kit gain some frequencies instead of reducing some, it's time to investigate. But to me there's no such thing as a perfectly in phase drum recording. (Unless you record every instruments seperately)

Fab Dupont once said : "Is it in phase ?" "I don't know but if it sounds good who cares !"

History fact : Martin Stevens himself (Love is in the air) told me that when recording that legendary hit, they've recorded every drum instruments seperatly to get them perfectly seperated and help the mix time... He also believe they were the first to do that at the time. A good choice or not, it proved no rules could'nt be bent :)

8. Chris Perra

Home Page:
    I'll need to get my snare dialed in tuning wise and tweak the floor tom a bit. The main thing I m concerned about is if the snares boxiness is a phase issue between mics or just the snare tuning itself. It's a dead room so it doesn't get to breathe as much as it should. I've got a room sim on every track to create a room vibe. I'll play with that as well to see if it opens up the snare.

I remember there was a Scorpions album that Dieter Dirks produced in the late 80s that had all parts of the kit recorded separately for isolation. The sounds were great. . The feel was crap ha ha.

9. DonnyThompson

Home Page:
    Have you ever experimented with ripple-tuning your snare?

10. Chris Perra

Home Page:
    What does ripple tuning mean?

11. Chris Perra

Home Page:
    Is this what you mean? If so.. nope.. I'll tune all lugs the same with bottom skin pretty high. My drums in general are out of tune.. new skins.. they are still settling .. The toms are Aquarian coated Performance 2's I've never used them before.. Sort of like darker heavier Remo's.

12. DonnyThompson

Home Page:
    Yes.