Mastering and dither in PT

Discussion in 'Mastering' started by Irene, Mar 16, 2002.

1. Irene

Irene Guest

Hi

A query here about getting from 24 bit 44.1 kHz sessions to 16 bit 44.1 kHz files.

Usually I BTD the session and import into a 24 bit session where I use mastering software and lastly POW-r dither on the master fader, then I bounce to a 16 bit file.

Should I really separate this combined stage into two stages ie. perform a 24 bit BTD of the mastering session and then open another session where the only processing is the dither plug-in??

thanks to any advisors!

Renie

2. RobinH

RobinH Guest

I actually record the track into the session on a new track. Then save the session as SAVE AS and name it sessionmaster. Then delete all other tracks and clear the audio pool of everything but the master.

I don't know if this gives better quality but means if you destructively record a new master in your sessionmix file it is there automatically in the sessionmaster.

Also you can apply any mastering EQ/Compression on the master track and mix to it rather than applying it after. L1 , maximizer , or UV22 , digi's dither ( or whatever your bag is ) can be put in the mastertrack meaning a final BTD gives you your 16bit master. Saves disk space too.

3. Alécio Costa - Brazil

Alécio Costa - Brazil Well-Known Member

I record the main stereo out of my 02R console into PT . So the mix stays along with the session tracks. later, at the end of an album, I import all mixes into a MASTERING session, in 24 bits/48k.
    Later, I aplly plugins like TC masterx, L1, Q10, and BTD.

But now I will do everything in 24bit/44.1khz.
    Am I doing anything stupid? thanks for your comments.

4. Hardnox

Hardnox Guest

Is it better to record the mix back into PT on a new track, or bounce to disk. What do you think sound better?

5. RobinH

RobinH Guest

I would say the former espescially if you have more than 10 trks

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed