Mastering engineer recommendation

Discussion in 'Mastering' started by blake eat world, Sep 13, 2001.

  1. can anyone recommend a mastering engineer that specializes in giving digital recordings analog depth. The big mastering facility in my area is trying to recommend me not to have my recording mastered to tape as it will just add hiss, so basically i said forget this guy cause he obviously doesn't understand what i'm going for. any recommendations?
  2. audiowkstation

    audiowkstation Active Member

    Jun 29, 2001

    Send a track, I will do one for no charge, then you decide.
  3. CFS

    CFS Guest

    Id say go for Alan Douches. He is amasing with that stuff and cheap. Diffrences are night and day. Especially if your handle refers to Jimmy Eat World I think you probably own records he has done. His contact is
  4. sjoko

    sjoko Member

    Aug 13, 2001
    Blake, I presume you wish to add some "warmth" to your master.
    In that case, don't just discount your local mastering facility, but first ask them what they'd propose to use instead of a tape transfer.
    I've got a 2 track Studer gathering dust, I'm using it less and less. Why? Very simple - we can now achieve the kind of good harmonic effect caused by tape in the digital domain, without having to go through 2 more conversions and without raising the noise floor. Well worth exploring. If they don't respond with a good explanation, by all means look elsewhere.

    As a footnote, after almost 30 years analog mixing and mastering I was most likely the one person that really needed to be convinced, so I spend some time mastering both ways, until I was convinced I achieve better results in the digital domain.

    As another footnote, if people started paying more attention to what makes digital sound good - their systems' converters and clocks - there would be less need to warming up digital recordings.

Share This Page