mastering on a budget

Discussion in 'Mastering' started by azwethink421, Jan 26, 2005.

Tags:
  1. azwethink421

azwethink421 Guest

I'm only 17 and have been making electronic music for a while and I've been developing a lot in music production, but I am having trouble mastering. Normally I'll run raw recordings through adobe audition, use the eq that comes with the software, and use a voxengo compressor untill I get the sound I want. my main problem is volume. I'm very limited when it comes to cash so I can't afford any hardware so I use software for everything.

if anyone wants to help me out I'd love it. here's a link to a song I "mastered" (still not what I want volume wise). http://www.theoctobershift.com/prohibition_master_mp3.mp3. If anyone has any information on how I could make it louder without peaking i could use the help. I'm supposed to master my own cd for my senior project. a lot of people are saying you have to be experianced, but how am I gonna get experiance without a little help? thanks anyone who will give me some tips.

2. Massive Mastering

Massive Mastering Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I would direct your attention here...

(Dead Link Removed)

But basically, it notes in the long run, that there truly is NO substitute for practical experience and accumulated knowledge.

Once a mix is brought to 0dBfs, something has to give for it to go louder. What gives and how it gives (EQ, compression, limiting, a combination of any or all - and the settings) will be dictated by the needs of the mix on a track-by-track basis.

You're starting off on the right foot - A clear recording with nice dynamics. To get it "loud" keep in mind that you're going to lose some of those dynamincs.

3. mixandmaster

mixandmaster Active Member

Home Page:
    It seems pretty reasonable to me as far as "loudness" goes. If anything, I think you may have too much super lo end. Maybe a simple low shelf EQ starting around 70 BEFORE your final compression would give you some more room to push the compressor/limiter.