1. Dear Guest, if you haven't already... enter to WIN Samplitude Pro X4!
    Dismiss Notice

Mic closet recommendations

Discussion in 'Microphones (live or studio)' started by Kurt Foster, Nov 25, 2004.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

1. oh- ow

TLM193 (and TLM170) = U89i capsule (not U87)

Regards

2. supercharry

supercharry Guest

Kurt...... what do you think of a KSM44 for vocals?? Any other recommended use for this mic?? or are there better mics than this one for multiple uses (thinking about the price as well)?

3. OmeN Records

OmeN Records Guest

Studio Mics

I've been reading the post and is really interesting, I tried to send a PM to Kurt but the system doesn't allow me to, if it is possible I would like to contact you to ask you some questions about microphones and more detailed stuff

thanx

4. scottme

scottme Guest

Hi all,

Particularly to Kurt: How does the HM-1 stack up against an AT2020 (and even an NT1A)?

Can anyone else recommend a versatile condenser under $150?

5. RecTeach

RecTeach Guest

This is my first (of hopefully many) posts here so I thought I would start by posting my mic locker and offering any info on any of the mic's that I have. Just to give you guys a little background I have the wonderfull job of teaching recording technology at a magnet school on the high school level. Luckily we have a very nice budget which lets us acquire this great gear.

Mic locker:

Soundelux ifet 7

Soundelux U195

Telefunken AK47

Royer SF12

(2) DPA (B&K) 4006's

Neumann U87

Neumann TLM103

Brauner Phantom AE

Sennheiser MD421

Shure KSM32

AKG C3000B

(2) Shure SM81's

Blue 'Bluebird'

Audio Technica 4040

Shure Beta 52

AKG D112

(3) Shure SM57's

(3) Shure SM58's

(4) AKG C418's

6. nickeveslage

nickeveslage Guest

I'd like to add the Dragonfly, made by BLUE - incredible microphone. Great on everything from vocals to guitar amps, bass amps, overheads, snares, acoustic guitar...you name it, it does it well.

And it's relatively inexpensive too!

7. niclaus

niclaus Active Member

Home Page:
    has anyone heard the differents blue mics, such as the kickball, ball and 8ball???
    I'm considering getting one of them so...

8. BDFitz

BDFitz Active Member

Home Page:
    It's been a while since I posted here but I still visit often and always learn something new. Having built this studio in 2000 I have finally reached a point where I have captured the sound I want on every instrument with the exception of an upright piano. Drums took years and Acoustic guitar, amps and stringed instruments in general have offered plenty of challenge. I took some heat here for sharing my enthusiasm for a certain brand that was way under the radar 1n 2005 but now that they're winning awards for their latest designs I rest my case. Key additions like the Lynx Aurora AD/DA, Eventide Eclipse and the TC4000 reverb have been invaluable but these mics have served me well and I can't say enough about Ribbon technology. I even used the AKG414 on kick the other day and am rediscovering the beauty of that incredibly versatile mic. Anyway, I just got the Elroy yesterday and have to thoroughly check it out but at first listen ($299) it looks like another winner. The v55 is now discontinued but still one of favorites on Vox, Drums and Acoustic Guitar.

What I have strived for is to capture a sound at recording that requires very little post EQ. The TLM103, v55, 414, and ribbons do that best and this is a pretty darn cost effective mic cabinet too.

Neumann TLM 103 Lg diaphragm
    AKG 414 (’89 modified) Lg diaphragm
    Cascade “Elroy” Vacuum Tube
    Cascade v55 Tube (2) Lg diaphragm
    Cascade Fat Head II Ribbon Mic
    Rode NTK Tube (2) Lg diaphragm
    Royer R-121 Ribbon mic
    Oktava MC012 (2) Condenser
    AT 4041 Condenser
    AT M63 Dynamic Instr.
    Sennheiser e835 (3) Dynamic
    Sennheiser e604 (3) Hypercardioid
    Sennheiser 421 Dynamic
    Shure SM62 Dynamic
    Shure SM57 (2) Dynamic
    Shure Beta 58A Dynamic
    AKG D112 Dynamic

9. RobXmas

RobXmas Guest

Thanks for this post! AHHH THE u87!

As Homer Simpson would say....
    "mmmmm Neumann."

10. moonbaby

moonbaby Mmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dude:
    Not only are you spewing BS info (like putting "sterophone" on the walls), you are brazenly promoting your business in a manner that is highly frowned upon. Please contact the website administrator (audiokid) and make arrangements to post a legit ad.
    Thanks...
    And read up on acoustic control methods before you tell people to put FLAMMABLE STYROFOAM on their walls.

11. Codemonkey

Codemonkey Well-Known Member

Anyone else think moon's post got lost?

12. blaumph2cool

blaumph2cool Active Member

At first I was puzzled...then I laughed a lot.

13. Awesome list man. The Nuemans are king but I found that AKG makes great mics for those that are on a budget,.....

14. LeeRain

LeeRain Guest

Keith, aka 'took-the-red-pill' outstanding suggestion, or scenario if you will. What are they smoking up in Calgary ?

I'd rather own 8-10 excellent versatile mics on that island (but it's a challenge to narrow it down and keep it on the $Cheap)

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed