Mic Diaphram Thickness

Discussion in 'Microphones (live or studio)' started by tmix, Nov 19, 2002.

Tags:
  1. tmix

tmix Guest

I was wondering as (I am looking at different microphones) what effect the diaphram thickness has on mic sound or choice (say 3 micron as opposed to 6 micron) Would the thinner the diaphram the more responsive to transients?
    Would thicker be more smooth and therefore a better choice for vocals as opposed to something else?
    Any help would be appreciated. I prefer to make informed choices whenever I can.

2. jajjguy

jajjguy Guest

Posters to these forums must dread answers like this, but more than in most other cases, the answer has to be "it depends."

Two examples:
    Studio Projects has two lines of mics, the B and the C. The C mics have 6 micron capsules, and the B mics are 3 microns. People seem to like the C mics better, regardless of application.

Stephen Paul, the microphone designer who has his own forum on this site, insists that thicker diaphragms are a compromise, and that his 1 micron (and thinner) capsules are the way to go. And many people seem to agree with him, even though the 6 micron mics he criticises are some of the most admired and sought-after mics ever made.

So I don't think thickness is something you can consider when shopping for mics.

3. tmix

tmix Guest

Well ,
    It figures....
    I was hoping that I could get a better handle on mic construction vs application so I would not have to necessarily audition every mic there was out there. I guess I'll just have to put my time and ears to work for now!
    :w: