MICROPHONE SUGGESTIONS????

Discussion in 'Recording' started by nosoupforyou, Nov 29, 2008.

1. nosoupforyou

nosoupforyou Active Member

Hello all i'm gearing up a personal 'project studio' and currently using a cheap set of apex mics and a shureSM57 (which i'm not a big fan of for recording guitar parts on next to even the cheap condensers) but any who i was wondering of some GOOD mics to invest in (no specific price range/purpose) so if you could leave a suggestion and a small description of why you suggest such a mic and for what you suggest such a mic for.

Thanks, with peace and love!

2. Imaginaryday

Imaginaryday Active Member

come on! don't make us guess what you're after. be more specific.

3. nosoupforyou

nosoupforyou Active Member

To be more specific.... any mic for any use.... building a collection here not for a particular purpose.... if you have experience with any mics let me know how they were for what you used them for??? ha ha however if it helps guitar bass/ any string really, horns and vocals are my top priority drum mics are a close second of interest.

4. TopherNeverDies

TopherNeverDies Active Member

Definitely check out a Sennheiser 421. It' a great mic. Love it on guitar cabs, snare, and toms.

Respectfully,
    Christopher

5. MadMax

MadMax Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Brauner, DPA, Earthworks, Peluso, Neumann and Royer are the short list I'd suggest.

Great quality mic's get you a better shot at getting a good sound. No guarantee, but better odds... and that goes for any source on just about any of the mic's.

Probably the most useful, all around mic that I could track and entire album on....

a handful of SM57's

6. Alécio Costa - Brazil

Alécio Costa - Brazil Well-Known Member

You cannot go wrong with a pair of At4040s. They are pretty good, cheap, sometimes perform better than the AT4050 at cardioid pattern.

A TLM 193 is another great alternative if you do not have the budget to pick a U89/U87.