Microtech Gefell UMT 70S

Discussion in 'Microphones & Recording' started by John Stafford, Mar 16, 2005.

1. John Stafford

John Stafford Well-Known Member

I'm very curious about this mic. Over here it is not too expensive -one of the few audio products that is cheaper in Europe. I'm very curious about the M7 capsule that MG uses, especially in this case, as it's a solid-state mic. Any opinions would be much appreciated.

I have been considering the less expensive AKG 414XLS for convenience and versatility, but I wonder where one could place the MG in comparison with the usual reference points.

Many thanks
    John Stafford

PS I'm considering a Great River single channel, so that's what I'd probably be running it through. If I get a pair, I haven't decided on a multi channel pre yet.

2. sdelsolray

sdelsolray Active Member

I have a Microtech Gefell UMT800, which is a SS multipattern mic using the M7 capsule. It's one incredible mic. A real Neumann.

3. Johnson Cabasa

Johnson Cabasa Active Member

the umt70s is one of the best mics in my collection. it is rally sooth sounding the m7 has a nice clear hight end but tis not spitty sounding like my 414. i have used it on vocals and guiatars and got a second one so i oculd use them for drum overheads.

4. John Stafford

John Stafford Well-Known Member

Thank you both for your replies. The UMT800 is also very tempting, although it is more expensive.

John