Mid Side Shockmount for Schoeps

Discussion in 'Microphones & Recording' started by grant, Jan 2, 2007.

1. grant

grant Active Member

I just ordered a Schoeps MK8 to do mid side. I also unfortunately ordered a Schoeps AMS 22. Why unfortunately? Because I'm not fond of paying $184 for a single plastic mic clip.

Do any of you know of alternative (cheaper) mid side shockmounts/clips that would accomodate these 21mm mics (cmc6)?

Thanks,
    Grant

2. mdemeyer

mdemeyer Active Member

Order the center mic holder and the two elastics of the the AMS 22 as spare parts from Schoeps. Around $20. Cut off a 1/2" length of 2.5" to 3" diameter PVC pipe, cut a few shallow grooves in appropriate locations to keep the elastics positioned, attach it to the swivel from an old mic clip (takes a little mechanical creativity, but not much), and you have yourself a dandy alternative to the AMS 22 for about $25 and a couple hours work.

That's what I use... I'll take a photo in the coming days and post it.

Michael

3. grant

grant Active Member

Wow. Thanks. That goes to show how overpriced it is--that you can buy half of the thing's parts for a mere $20.

I'll look forward to that picture. Anyone else's idea(s) are still appreciated.

Grant

4. grant

grant Active Member

Has anyone tried to use two standard mic clips and the Shure A27M? I can't tell from the picture if it would work.

5. zemlin

zemlin Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    My ho-made solution for my blueline mics
    124_2482.JPG
    124_2483.JPG
    124_2484.JPG

and a shockmount arrangement for just about anything small, including my MS setup

127_2799.JPG
    127_2800.JPG
    128_2801.JPG

6. mdemeyer

mdemeyer Active Member

Nice woodwork. Now I'll be embarrassed to post photos of my PVC pipe gizmo this weekend... :oops:

Michael

7. MadTiger3000

MadTiger3000 Active Member

8. zemlin

zemlin Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Baltic Birch plywood - 19mm. My favorite material for utilitarian bits. Looks great with a quick shot of lacquer.

9. DavidSpearritt

DavidSpearritt Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Karl, beautiful handiwork and clamps. Where do you get the clamp in the last photo, made up with the hex bar.

10. zemlin

zemlin Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Sabra Som t-bar. A very versatile setup and easy to expand (3/8" hex bar is easy to get). Not good for heavy mics, but great for small stuff. I've bought from a couple of places. It isn't real common, but google will find it for you quick enough.

11. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

It's common enough to be able to be gotten at Guitar Center...you just have to ask. They don't stock it. (They stock the Sabra-Som Shock mount though).

I've found, even with larger mics, it works okay. My main support bars for my Sabra-Soms have been replaced with drop hardened steel versus the aluminum that they come with and this allows me to mount even a stereo pair of tube mics 15 feet in the air.

BTW Zemlin -
    That is some of the most creative woodworking I've seen! Nice work!

12. zemlin

zemlin Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Thanks (and to the others as well). 8)
    I worked as a machinist for a while out of high school and now work as a mechanical engineer doing machine design - so designing and making bits like this is rather second nature for me. Many decent mounts and such are bloody expensive, so there's a fair amount of motivation to find better solutions.

WRT the Sabra Som on heavy mics, the only bit I don't like is the clutch that threads onto the mic stand. I think every one that I have (which includes a few extras I was sent as warranty replacements) have cracked in one way or another. I have used them for MS mounting of LDC mics, but I make sure the mics are balanced about the clutch so it's job is fairly easy. I'm in the process of putting a much stouter t-bar together from some Bogen bits - not there yet, but when that's done I'll be in good shape.