Midas F32 - Windows 10 Firewire problem

Discussion in 'Consoles / Control Surfaces' started by shredzelle, Jan 2, 2017.

1. shredzelle

shredzelle Member

Hi. first ever post.
    the guitarist/sound guy in my band recently bought a Midas F32 console, and is having trouble connecting it to Protools via firewire.
    his laptop is running 64bit Windows 10, and he's connecting via 6 to 6 pin firewire cable. the Midas Firewire Control Panel program will pick up the console intermittently but then lose it again, which leads me to assume that this is not a software problem, but that's just a guess.
    if anybody has solved a similar problem, or needs more information to try to solve this one, all relevant replies appreciated!

2. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Welcome!

Could be the Firewire interface on the laptop side. A good interface with current drivers is very important, especially on laptops.
    However....
    Be sure to disable all firewall / antivirus protection! Keep the Laptop off line, make it only for audio and go from there. Laptops need to be optimized for audio and off the web during recording/mixing editing etc. At least until you get it smooth, free of things like this..

Firewire connections will often appear to be a security issue on computers. You can whitelist program/ software in the PC (forget the settings).
    I'd start there, report back to let us know how this helps.

crossing fingers for you :)

Kurt Foster likes this.
  3. shredzelle

shredzelle Member

thanks for the reply & the finger-crossing. i'll post an update when he gives it a try!

4. shredzelle

shredzelle Member

it worked! BUT, only 44.1khz is working. when switched to 48, the firewire clock light on the console flickers on & off and it disconnects. thanks for your help so far, any ideas about this one?

5. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    The clock setting needs to be synced to 48. It sounds like it needs to be done manually. Check both DAW and console are at 48..