Millennia Media M-2b discontinued

Discussion in 'Preamps / Channel Strips' started by audiokid, Feb 23, 2017.

1. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Wow, I just heard the Millennia M-2b is discontinued for good, no more made. If I won the lottery I would have 24 channels of those and call it completed. They are simply outstanding. I feel blessed to have at least 2 channels. I guess I have what will go down as one of the worlds most amazing preamps. The M-2b are now Vintage.
    417_full.jpg

2. pcrecord

pcrecord Quality recording seeker ! Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    That's what I thought. I went to the website a few days ago and didn't see it... :(

3. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    I contacted them today and their response was that they only sold one in the last year. What a shame sign of the times.

kmetal and pcrecord like this.
  4. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    That's unfortunate.
    But as you said, a sign of the times.

Sometimes - and I mean occasionally - in my journeys as a home studio consultant, I'll see nice gear; Millennia, Neve, Grace, SSL, Neumann, AKG, Manley, UA, ...
    But it's pretty rare in the home studio scene. Mostly I see Behringer, Samson, M-Audio, Tascam, and entry-level Presonus and Focusrite stuff. Mics like 57's, 58's and budget-level AT's round out the inventory.
    (I see a lot of AT2020's.)

I-O's are generally Behringer or M-Audio. Sometimes I'll see a UA, but never anything by Antelope, Prism, RME...

I can't help but wonder if the lack of hi-caliber gear in home studios - beyond the price tags - is also due to the styles of the music that the people who own these small "studios" are into and are producing; Rap, Hip Hop, Thrash Metal, and projects that are nothing but completely VSTi driven compositions ( Dance, House, Trance, etc).... truthfully, in so many of these current styles that are popular with younger recordists, high-caliber gear wouldn't really matter all that much anyway. So maybe, just maybe, a factor in the caliber of gear being used is partially style-driven?

The home studios where I typically see the finer pieces of gear - nice preamps, nice mics - are usually doing a lot of acoustic-centered stuff (classical, folk, country, bluegrass) and/or are owned by people who used to operate or work at pro studios, who are accustomed to the upper caliber gear, and who know the differences between budget and pro.
    That being said, I'm not sure the majority of their clients can really hear the difference, (or would even care if they could?)

And, with so many people putting together their own recording rooms at their homes (on what is probably a weekly basis), far less people are doing work at pro rooms.
    As stated here on RO many times before, it's not a good time for pro studios, and so many of the purchasers of the upper-level gear - like Millennia - were pro/commercial facilities.

FWIW

rmburrow and kmetal like this.
  5. Scott LaChapell

Scott LaChapell Active Member

Very sad for sure. I had one on the bench one time and really respected the craftsmanship.

kmetal and audiokid like this.