Misconception about Phasing

Discussion in 'Microphones (live or studio)' started by Cucco, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Lee Knight

Lee Knight Guest

The question posed by J-3 above is what I've been thinking as I read this very informative thread. Why does the sound tighten up when I align 2 kick drum mics then? Is it because the relatively simple kick drum info is easier to "see" and represented more clearly by the software? ...as oppossed to the Ochestral example that started this thread?

2. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

Lee and J-3:

Ultimately, by visually lining up the waves represented in your DAW window, you are going in the right direction, my point originally is that it can't be the only means taken. However, since the kick has a very strong fundamental pitch, it's waveform is easily represented by the DAW software. Despite the presence or lack of the DAWs overtones drawn within the wave, you will get a cleaner attack if these samples are aligned. When you are dealing with overtone rich sounds, where the fundamental and the harmonics are much closer in amplitude, this is when you will run into more problems. In the case of many percussion instruments, the fundamental is far louder than the overtones (particularly at it's point of transient peak).

Thanks,

J...

3. Lee Knight

Lee Knight Guest

...the fog slowly clears. Thanks Cucco.

4. rojarosguitar

rojarosguitar Active Member

Great post!

5. paulears

paulears Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I'm totally at a loss as to why people destroy time alignment by manually adjusting tracks like this. My reasoning is simply because while in 100% isolated recordings - with no spill, or contamination, the actual shifting makes no real difference, as soon as the thing you are moving contains another source, even at low level, or the actual room sound you destroy things. We talk about the difference between say X/Y and ORTF, and it's the time element that matters. What's the reason for trying to align everything? I'm lost.

6. rojarosguitar

rojarosguitar Active Member

I guess too many microphones are used and too little time is invested in microphone positioning due to the believe everything can be fixed during the mix. That's maybe the curse of 'unlimited possibilities' of the digital work.

7. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

i believe the problem is the misunderstanding of the difference between phase and polarity. a lot of people confuse the two. the lack of polarity flip buttons on DAW's and cheap mixers is a contributing factor.

8. paulears

paulears Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    ABSOLUTELY! I have one keyboard that needs one channel's polarity reversed, otherwise, in mono it just vanishes. I have no idea why it was presumably designed this way. It's ancient - a Korg M1.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed