(audio) Mix exercise - Part 1 - Session preparation

Discussion in 'Mixing & Song Critique' started by pcrecord, Jul 25, 2019.

1. pcrecord

pcrecord Quality recording seeker ! Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi gang,

Like I do once or twice a year, I like to download pro recorded tracks and make the exercise of mixing a song. It gives an idea how different those tracks are from mine and also a degree of detachment I don't get from tracks I recorded myself.

If you want to join me, it would be fun to compare our results.
    I chose well recorded tracks made with by the Telefunken team using their mics of course.

You can download the raw tracks here :
    The song I chose is : Remember Jones - "I Smell Sex And Candy" (Cover)
    https://www.telefunken-elektroakustik.com/live-from-the-lab-season-3
    It's free, just enter your email address, I haven't received a publicity email yet ;)

You can post your mix or an extract here as an mp3, not a external link, that way they will stay available in this thread for future members.

While doing this, I will be posting videos of each steps and thought process of the mixing and mastering the song on my youtube channel, any comments are welcome. I guess the process will take a few weeks, so you got time to post your mixes :
    This is part 1 session preparation ;

kmetal likes this.
  2. kmetal

kmetal Kyle P. Gushue Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    if only my gear was setup! Ugh. I hope some others participate, its fun to hear different versions of the same project.

3. pcrecord

Home Page:
    The only thing you need is a laptop and a good pair of headphones, no ? hey hey hey !! :ROFLMAO:

kmetal likes this.
  4. DogsoverLava

DogsoverLava Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I'm going to do this -- are they all dry stems? I want to do this without hearing the finished mix (just get the raw tracks and see what I can do).

kmetal likes this.
  5. pcrecord

Home Page:
    Yes all raw tracks !!
    I think it's a good exercise to mix tracks recorded by others..
    We can encounter problems we are not used to and tracks without the problems we are used to create (because of our room of mic choice etc..)
    Also since they are Telefunken mics which I doubt will ever have the budget for, it's fun to hear how different the raw track form some of my tracks done on a lower budget ! ;)

6. bouldersound

bouldersound Real guitars are for old people. Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Here's my basic mix. There's no automation and no clip gain editing, just level, eq, compression, spectral dynamics, slapback delay and some reverb. The only real editing I did on this was plosive mitigation. If I were serious about this I would edit the clip gain and volume envelopes of the vocals and certain instruments.

Attached Files:

pcrecord likes this.
  7. kmetal

Home Page:
    For some reason its playing but i cant hear anything, not sure if its my phone or not figured id mention it.

8. bouldersound

Home Page:
    It was something to do with my file. I replaced it with a new file that should work.

kmetal likes this.
  9. kmetal

Home Page:
    Cool man, sounds good.

10. DogsoverLava

Home Page:
    Here's mine - I like wet mixes so this is reflective of that as well as trying to tame the lead vocalist who I thought put too much goofy personality into this so I mixed him a little lower and took out some of his quirkiness and replaced it with cool. In my mind I imagined him to be the singer from The Heavy singing "Do you Like me now?"

Attached Files:

kmetal and bouldersound like this.
  11. pcrecord

Home Page:
    All right here's mine.. Mix Version 1... I'll probably revisit it when my ears are not so tired

I love that some of you are participating.
    Our mix are very different and all valid. . .

This weekend I'll try to post a video I did while mixing, you'll get all the moves that I made ;)

Attached Files:

kmetal, DogsoverLava and bouldersound like this.
  12. DogsoverLava

Home Page:
    Did one more mix - tried to tame the bass a bit and change the way I mixed the drums.... couple other small changes too.

Attached Files:

kmetal and pcrecord like this.
  13. kmetal

Home Page:
    Im thoroughly enjoying this! Nice work.

pcrecord likes this.
  14. DogsoverLava

Home Page:
    Thanks guys -- here's a question - How would you rate all these mixes? I'd love to see a score (or for us to develop a score system common the the board) so I could have some objective sense of how I might strive to be better and track my progress. I don't think 10/10 is possible -- and there's no way anything I'm doing is 8 or 9 out of 10 -- but if we had to develop a mix grading system - what criteria would we use that would help me understand say how my mix might be a 6 out of 10 and how I'd try to get it to be a 7? (or maybe I'm a 4 but I want to be a 6....) Just thinking out loud here.

15. kmetal

Home Page:
    Hmm that's a tough one since we are all subjective, and what we are listening on varies so much. Ive been giving mix advice for years judy using an iphone when i had them since i spent hours a day listening to music i was fairly accurate with my suggestions. The newer andriods i have seem way more hyped in the highs, and no phone has lows.

One thing i did notice on all the mixes was vocal sibalance to varying degrees, but noticeable on all of them. This could be because im listening on a speaker the size of my fingernail. It could be an issue tho since not everything i listen to has that characteristic.

Part of what i liked about this excercise was the non competitive / non critical nature of it. Im absurdly critical and anal retentive about every little thing in life, so this approach was refreshing. Ive been working on deliberatley being non-judgemental.

Id gladly offer my thoughts on your mix, but would only do so if asked.

16. DogsoverLava

Home Page:
    Yup -- the sibilance was all over the raw tracks - I treated a couple areas where the vocalist was "popping" on the mic with consonant sounds --- i left the sibilance alone - but that would be a great mix exercise in itself - tame the sibilance. I may do another pass at this just looking at that element.

kmetal likes this.
  17. bouldersound

Home Page:
    Here's my mix 2.

Attached Files:

kmetal likes this.
  18. pcrecord

Home Page:
    Wow, this is very different from your first one.. More upfront, more drums ... nicely done !

19. bouldersound

Home Page:
    Thanks. I really wanted the rhythm to stand out since it's a funk/disco type tune. But I kept running into LF and low-mid mud. I had to get really assertive with eq and break out of certain assumptions to get where I wanted to go.

I notice the vocal sounds a bit subdued in headphones, but it's where I want it to be in speakers so I'm going to live with it as it is.

pcrecord likes this.
  20. pcrecord

Home Page:
    That's exactly why I do this exercise 1 or twice a year.. Working on tracks comming from another studio comes with a new set of problems and particularities.. ;)