pcrecord

Quality recording seeker !
Mine is done in the box too. I have to admit: I have no outboard gear anymore, except for an old Lexicon MPX-1.

Hereby I post the newest mixed, still not mastered, but now the horns are included LOL. Forgot them on the first mix.

Nice Job!!
If I had to be picky, the rithme guitar is a bit hard in the right ear.. But it's a minor thing ;)

pcrecord

Just wondering if you guys are using a mix bus compressor or eq?
You have everything I did in my video.. but since you asked.
Ozone, EQ, dynamic module (mutiband compressor) in M/S, the vintage compressor, the exciter, vintage tape.
Then my beloved Fabfilter PRO L2 ! ;)

Most plugins and modules barely touch the signal, it's very subtle, but it gets me a slighty larger sound with retaining most of the dynamics..
Well that's what I'm telling myself. what do you think ? :ROFLMAO:

kmetal

Kyle P. Gushue
I use a Focusrite Red Compressor in the masterbus. NOthing fancy, came with my focusrite interface.

I was pleasantly surprised by the focusrite pluggin bundle. They are very usable. I liked the red comp when i messed around with it.

You have everything I did in my video.. but since you asked.
Ozone, EQ, dynamic module (mutiband compressor) in M/S, the vintage compressor, the exciter, vintage tape.
Then my beloved Fabfilter PRO L2 ! ;)

You did that on the mix bus? Then did a similar set of processing on the mastering too? Just trying to make sure i understand correctly.

pcrecord

I was pleasantly surprised by the focusrite pluggin bundle. They are very usable. I liked the red comp when i messed around with it.
You did that on the mix bus? Then did a similar set of processing on the mastering too? Just trying to make sure i understand correctly.
Oh.. sorry, I missread.. only on the mastering project..

While mixing I had L2 but I removed it before exporting for the mastering ;)

miyaru

I use a compressor on the master bus quite often, it glues the song together. Just a little touch of compression threshold on -10 Db, slightly fast attack and a ratio of 1:1.7 or so...... finetuned to the song of course.

If I master I like to use multiband compressors, but I don't have a good one right now. I useally don't really master, just pseudo LOL. I think it is a trade by itself, with it's own tools and skills.

bouldersound

Real guitars are for old people.
Okay, I did a Mix 3. I was just going to touch up the mastering (which I'm doing in the same session as the mixing), but then I found some problems with my Mix 2 that I wanted to fix. Pretty soon I had heavily altered it so I just committed to a third mix.

Attachments

• Remember Jones_I Smell Sex and Candy_Bouldersound mix 3.mp3
    3.1 MB · Views: 162

DogsoverLava

Here's my MasteredV1 version of my V3 mix. I tried to tighten up the bass a bit by focusing the attack to make it slightly more percussive, I also tried a little bit of saturation to warm it up a wee bit, and of course applied a pretty inelegant limiter that I tried to boost overall while taming some of the excited areas that might have been too aggressively dynamic. I like it but my objectivity between mixing and mastering is still something I have not developed.

Attachments

• sex and candy masterv1.mp3
    8 MB · Views: 149

pcrecord

Here's my MasteredV1 version of my V3 mix. I tried to tighten up the bass a bit by focusing the attack to make it slightly more percussive, I also tried a little bit of saturation to warm it up a wee bit, and of course applied a pretty inelegant limiter that I tried to boost overall while taming some of the excited areas that might have been too aggressively dynamic. I like it but my objectivity between mixing and mastering is still something I have not developed.

To be honest without being disrespectfull. I think it's a bit heavy on the low end. could use more clarity.. to my taste anyway.. ;)

bouldersound

All right, here is the complete song mastered at -14LUFS
The video of the making is 2 posts up ;)

What kind of metering do you use? Is it built into your limiter or do you use something separate?* What are your thoughts on intersample peaking? (I suppose you may address this in the video, which I'll have to watch, but I thought it would be interesting to discuss it here.)

I use the free Youlean meter. I maintain the headroom at 1dB to prevent intersample peaks exceeding 0dBFS.

*[Edit] Watched the video and saw that you use the meter built into Pro-L 2.

DogsoverLava

To be honest without being disrespectfull. I think it's a bit heavy on the low end. could use more clarity.. to my taste anyway.. ;)
Thanks PC - I’m happy to get any kind of feedback from you - got lots of respect for what you and others on this forum can do so the only way I can get better and learn is if the criticism I get is delivered really directly and bluntly. I’ll dig into it more.

kmetal

Kyle P. Gushue
What are your thoughts on intersample peaking?

This is a good topic. I used to use waves L2 maximizer set to -.3dbfs instead of -.1 because its supposed to reduce intersample clipping. I havent had a proper chance to use my ozone and fabfilter stuff yet.

I honestly dont know what to listen for when it comes to intersample peaking. What are the audibl effects.

I think this is an important topic for mix and master.

bouldersound

This is a good topic. I used to use waves L2 maximizer set to -.3dbfs instead of -.1 because its supposed to reduce intersample clipping. I havent had a proper chance to use my ozone and fabfilter stuff yet.

If I understand it correctly, the EBU R128 standard specifies -23dBLUFS, which is much lower than the usual for music streaming. It also specifies -1dBTP ("true peak"), which might seem a bit overly cautious until you see what data compression can do to an audio file. I generally master to -14dBLUFS and -1dBTP.

I honestly dont know what to listen for when it comes to intersample peaking. What are the audibl effects.

That's the thing, it may or may not have an audible effect depending on the DAC in question and how far above 0dBFS the intersample peaking goes. Some DACs have headroom to accommodate ISP and some don't, which I think is a legacy of the Red Book standard and early digital formats. You probably aren't likely to get ISP from a properly digitized analog signal, but you can get it from a digitally processed signal. Or something like that. I suspect ISP sounds different on different DACs. Most likely it sounds like some variation on clipping.

My approach is to be a bit overcautious and leave a full dB of true peak headroom on my uncompressed file. Then it should be nearly impossible for data compression (e.g. mp3 encoding) to cause it to go above 0dBTP.

pcrecord

For everything mastered for streaming I do choose -14LUFS and -0.5dBTP.. Should I go with -1dBTP instead ?
has anyone did the average calculation and determine the true safe numbers ?