mixing tips for hiphop and r&b

Discussion in 'Mixing & Song Critique' started by apbarkey, Jun 14, 2003.

1. apbarkey

apbarkey Active Member

Home Page:
    hi,

i'm looking for sites with mixing tips for hiphop and r&b tracks. everything i found is mostly for rock or pop music. maybe someone can tell me...

2. themidiroom

themidiroom Active Member

I don't know of any sites off hand, but I primarily mix r&b and hip-hop, so I could be of some assistance to you.

themidiroom@yahoo.com :D

3. Rod Gervais

Rod Gervais Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    You may want to try :

http://www.getsigned.com/recording/

I sort of broused through the site - and it may not be a bad place to begin

Rod

4. themidiroom

themidiroom Active Member

Since there isn't any set rules for mixing a given genre of music, I would say listen to the style you wish to work with and do the things that sound good in the mix. I am working with a hip-hop group and using some techniques that might be more associated with r&b, or even pop and they love the results. My opinion is a lot of hip-hop isn't mixed well, so a change of pace can be good.

5. apbarkey

apbarkey Active Member

Home Page:
    does anyone know of any other sites? I still haven't found the information i am looking for...

6. anonymous

anonymous Guests

what exactly are you looking for?

7. apbarkey

apbarkey Active Member

Home Page:
    i find so many information on how to record guitars, on how to mic a drumset... all not usefull to me... ok i learned from that but i wanna see more what other hiphop producers do to their mixes. i listen alot and figured out alot but it's still so many tips and tricks out there i dont know...

trackmasters for example. they are using a lotta guitar synthi sounds(also alotta live recordings) but how do they get those synth-sounds to sound so fantastic... remember the old destiny's child tracks where they always used the Roland JV Series guitars? they made em sound so fantastic...

i wanna learn how to treat, eq, compress those synthsounds...