Mojave MA-200 vs. MA-201 fet

Discussion in 'Microphones (live or studio)' started by BobRogers, Mar 15, 2010.

1. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

Has anyone done an A/B with these? I was very impressed with the MA-100 we used as the mystery mic at Jeremy's place during the ribbon shootout. I've liked various samples and recordings made with the MA-200 and 201. But I've never heard a side-by-side comparison, and I don't see anyone comparing them in the archives. Anyone?

2. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    I have a couple of MA-200 as well and have not had the opportunity to compare either. I can ask John from Royer to pop in and share some insight. This will help build this thread which will help google, potential users from abroad.

3. jg49

jg49 Well-Known Member

Mic Testing – CAD E300 vs. Ma-200 vs. Ma-201 FET article
    I think this is a voiceover test Mojave MA-200, MA-201, JZ BH-1 and a U67 just 'cause I can - 3dB[/url" target="_blank" class="externalLink" rel="nofollow">
    I haven't found any A/B samples and I looked a few times which is one of the reasons I was interested in your potential test.

4. BobRogers

Thanks for the links. I had seen the first article but had not heard the VO clips.

5. Dustywake

Dustywake Member

Home Page:
    Here's what I hear - the MA-200 has a little more air way up top and is more sensitive. The MA-201fet, which has faster transient response, is a little more forward in the presence band. It's also 5dB less sensitive (which = more headroom) and can handle higher spl. User response has been a about 50/50 on vocals. For drum OHs, it's also about 50/50. Generally, the MA-200s wins for the more hi-fi sources, the MA-201fet wins for more aggressive sources.
    But they are close - when ABd, they definitely sound related.
    Hope this help. There's audio samples of both at Mojave Audio - Professional Condenser Microphones by David Royer

6. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Here is an excellent clip on Mojave needing to be posted here. Kudo's Dusty!

7. blaumph2cool

blaumph2cool Active Member

Then I saw her transformer...Now I'm a believer. Thanks that was insightful.

8. thatjeffguy

thatjeffguy Active Member

Home Page:
    Wow, cool video, thanks for posting that, audiokid!

I just purchased my MA-200 about a month ago. I don't have a 201 to compare it to, but I will say that it is by far the warmest mic I own on vocals. Makes my U87 sound almost brittle when I A-B them!
    I haven't had the chance to really run it through it's paces, but I'm really liking what I'm hearing so far.

Jeff

9. BobRogers

Well, I never got to do the grand shootout I wanted, but I purchased an MA-200 a week or two ago. So far I've just compared it directly with my other two LDCs. It has more air than my AKG 414 B-ULS and is warmer than my Rode K2. Easily the best of the three for the female vocalist I will be recording next. Also the hands down winner for a twangy tenor male vocalist. For my own raspy baritone voice there were some that liked the K2 better.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed