Monitor Amp - Need Help

Discussion in 'Monitoring' started by eonblue, Apr 13, 2006.

  1. eonblue

    eonblue Guest

    I have a arsely power amp just died (thank god). Now I have a legit reason to buy a nice poweramp. I have a set of "vintage" JBL 4312's. So, for the poweramp I am thinking bryston 2 or 3 B(since I dont need to super loud at all). The problem is that I need to be able to hook a DVD, CD player and whatnot up to it so Im guessing I need a preamp??? Can anyone recommend one that will not destroy that beauty that is Bryston or if I am way of base here correct me? Sorry for the dumbass post but I need an answer quick......Im in the zone recording and this has me on lockdown *sob cry cry sob*


    P.S. I dont need surround, just 2 speakers and I dont need to be spending 1000 dollars so this is some ebay action. Hell I dont even mind switching out RCA jacks when I want to watch I what does a preamp do for me?
  2. Massive Mastering

    Massive Mastering Well-Known Member

    Jul 18, 2004
    Chicago area, IL, USA
    Home Page:
    I'd definitely get some sort of preamp... Not too easy to find without being integrated with an amplifier lately though - At least not without being rather expensive...

    But a stereo unit shouldn't be too hard to find... You can probably get a rather nice one used.

    I'd go with the 3B on the amp though - Even though you don't need too much volume, that headroom might come in handy pushing those Jibbles.
  3. eonblue

    eonblue Guest

    Thanks. Can you recommend some brands or something used I should be looking for? Im assuming a cheap preamp on top of a sweet poweramp is going to pretty much nullify the flat response? Im sorry, this is just so out of my realm of 'expertise'(trust me, I use that term lightly). Im pretty much wandering blind here.

    Edit: It seems like I remember seeing Hafler being mentioned around here? Would it be a travesty to put a Hafler preamp on top of the bryston 3B?
  4. NickC

    NickC Guest

    For the CD, DVD, and other stuff that is more or less line level already, you can just use a stereo line mixer. I have a Rane 6 (stereo) in by 1 (stereo) out, which I use for this purpose - it's sort of a patch bay with volume controls.

Share This Page