Monitor amp (which one)

Discussion in 'Monitoring' started by eddies880, Sep 5, 2006.

Tags:
  1. eddies880

eddies880 Guest

Got a brand new set of JBL 4410As,and about 500 bucks for an amp.
    Any ides on an amp to give me that clean,quiet,transparant,true power to push the JBLs

2. d-gautam

d-gautam Guest

Hi,
    I have tested my JBL4410a with Alesis RA100 & HAFLER P4000. HAFLER sounds much better.

3. corrupted

corrupted Guest

I have a Yamaha somthin'-or-other amp, it works fine for me... but I don't have JBL's.
    I'd recommend Hafler all the way, I know a few people that have them and swear by them.

4. Michael Fossenkemper

Michael Fossenkemper Distinguished past mastering moderator Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    you might be able to find a used bryston 4B for that price too.

5. eddies880

eddies880 Guest

Mike
    Do you think that a Bryston 2b is sufficient?

6. eddies880

eddies880 Guest

Hafler----Ive also heard good reviews from this amp.

7. Michael Fossenkemper

Michael Fossenkemper Distinguished past mastering moderator Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I don't think a 2B would be umph enough. 4B would be the way to go. They're out there, just keep hunting. They also have like a 20 year warranty.

8. Massive Mastering

Massive Mastering Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I actually *have* a 4B that I'm selling... Out of warranty, but... I mean, it's a Bryston for cryin' out loud... Did anyone's ever actually need repair? :lol:

9. eddies880

eddies880 Guest

Why did I know you were gonna say that Mike?
    I saw one go on e-bay about 500,plus s&h.
    My main problem is the amount of room,the room I plan on using for mastering isnt but,15ft wide,and about 30ft long.

10. eddies880

eddies880 Guest

John,upon searching for reviews on the 2B,I stumbled on a review (for the life of me cant remember which one) where you used a 2B and praised the amount of dbs it was able to produce,do you happen to remember? :shock:

11. Massive Mastering

Massive Mastering Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I believe I did... Can't remember where / for who...

12. eddies880

eddies880 Guest

Niether can I,but in the review,you mentioned having to use it as a back up for some reason or other,and was impressed by it.
    I know that youre selling yours,but I have to keep in mind,that I dont have a nice "roomy" mastering room,and Im not pushing the big and bad ass Nautilus 803s (like someone I know :? )
    THe JBL 4410As arent that big,but needless to say,it sometimes always happens to me that I end up with not enough.
    I see about doing a search and see if I can find that thread.

13. eddies880

eddies880 Guest

Found it.
    http://www.audioreview.com/mfr/bryston/amplifiers/PRD_116285_1583crx.aspx

14. Zilla

Zilla Active Member

Home Page:
    I would advise against hafler amps. They are too grainy, in my opinion. The Bryston 4B is a nice amp, and some of the older Yamaha amps are quite good and affordable.

15. eddies880

eddies880 Guest

HOw about a Bryston 3b?

16. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

The 3b has more than enough juice for most applications. If you really want to open it up a bit more though, the 4b will do the trick.

Also, check into some used B&Ks. They're very, very nice and can be found cheap sometimes.

J.

17. Zilla

Zilla Active Member

Home Page:
    I have not listened to them, so I can't speak from experience. 150W per side is kind of low. Would rather have 200-300W, personally.

18. Cucco

Really?? :shock:

Even with modestly sensitive speakers (say, 86dB/wm), you should be capable of sustained levels of 108.5 dB and, knowing Bryston's headroom capabilities, peaks of 111 dB for a good 50 ms or more. That's awfully loud.

I mean, I like more wattage too, but....150 is pretty nice for all but the biggest and most power hungry speakers.

19. Zilla

Zilla Active Member

Home Page:
    Its not about loud. Its about control. Explained loosely: the more power an amp has, the more muscle it has to firmly control the movement of the speaker. Therefore less distortion.

I remember my first experience with amp overkill. I walked into a studio I was to work at and heard some NS-10's putting out some shockingly decent audio quality. I asked what they had done to the NS-10s. They replied "nothing". The reason was that each speaker had 500W behind it! Not for increase SPL, but for more accurate reproduction.

20. Cucco

That's making an interesting assertion - that two identical amplifiers with equal design but unequal capacity will put out completely different sounds with an equal amount of current flowing from the outputs.

(In other words - the Bryston 3B and 4B will sound different even if both amplifiers are putting out the equivelant of 50 watts...)

I understand the issue with headroom. Are you suggesting that an amplifier performing at 80% capacity will perform different than one performing at 60% capacity all other things being equal? I'm sure there is some, but what is the science behind that?

J.