monitor selector?

Discussion in 'Monitoring' started by tony moore, Feb 24, 2003.

1. tony moore

tony moore Guest

so bill hipped me to a new set of monitors tonight and i just realized i have no way of selecting between the 2. i need some type of selector to go between my console and 2 sets of amps/monitors.

any reasonably priced suggestions? (fwiw, this is for my home studio)

thanks!

tony

2. audiowkstation

audiowkstation Active Member

Did you go ahead and grab a set?

Great speakers.

What you don't want to do is compe out of your mixer to a Yadapter. This will alter the output impedance of the line level.

You could build a switch, 4PDT and use it to switch between the two poweramps. This way the mixer or preamp would see only one amp at a time.

If you are running unbalanced connections, radio shack has an effective device you can use that allows one input and many outputs. I hope they still sell them...it is a line selector switch that is passive and can be used in reverse. It originally had 4 inputs, one output. Using it in reverse (passive unit) you can have 1 stereo input and up to 4 (one at a time) outputs in stereo.

Hope this helps..

3. tony moore

tony moore Guest

hi bill,

not yet, i'm going to the closest dealer (5 miles!) tonight after work to buy a set. i didn't even realize this shop was there so they may have a passive speaker selector there.

i think i know the exact radio shack device you're talking about. i'll stop by today and see if they still carry it. i had been using balanced outs to the amp's input, but i'm ok with unbalanced as long as there's no hum. and i have alot of unbalanced gear in my studio (wired in a seperate unbalanced bay) and rarely have a problem.

thanks again!

tony

4. Katiedawg

Katiedawg Active Member

Well, yes and no. If the output impedance of the board is nice and low (and it should be) and the input impedance of *both* monitoring systems is nice and high, it really shouldn't be a problem.

No, it's not the right way to do it, though! Bridging things together is a real chicken-sh*t way to do things, even though it works.

In the old days, when everything was 600 ohms in and out and had a transformer on it, a deaf man (and maybe even an A&R guy) could hear if you went and bridged two devices. Typically, the bottom end drops, and the high end gets really terrible edge to it around 2K-6K.

Not fighting with you Bill...please don't take it that way!

5. Prolab

Prolab Guest

Did not see any mention of bridging.

Still do not see a mention of bridging. Just either or.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed