Most 'Real' VST for a DI GTR?

Discussion in 'Mixing' started by Link555, May 1, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Link555

Link555 Well-Known Member

I just got the UAD card that comes Nigel. So I plugged my GTR in via DI and test drove it. Maybe I haven't given it enough of a chance yet, but it really sucked at this application. Am I using it incorrectly?

What VST's are there out there that actually mimic a real mic'd amp?

2. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

Don't know about this VST, but too many of these have presets that sound "impressive" when soloed, but don't sit in a mix live or recorded. I've spend a lot of time tweaking POD settings - fitting them to different PAs for live use and to sit in the mix when recorded. Takes time and effort. If you are trying to nail a particular sound in your head, it's probably a lost cause. But I've been able to get sounds that I like out of these things, and a lot of other people have as well. Use it on its own terms.

3. dterry

dterry Active Member

It depends. Nigel isn't the best amp sim, but it can work for some things. Other options are Amplitube (http://www.amplitube.com/Main.html?prod_AT.php) ; Waves GTR; and NI's Guitar Rig.

For a free amp sim, the JCM in this set isn't bad: http://www.simulanalog.org/ - look under current technology, then click on "Simulanalog Guitar Suite" there is a zip file of the Guitar Suite of plugins about half way down that page.

Amplitube might be the best (only used it briefly and I'm not a guitar player per se), but a real amp may still be more satisfying.

4. Link555

Cool thanks guys I will check into the simulalog suite. I may use nigel to dirty up other things, but I really found it muddy. So unless I need some mud on a geek drum mic, it will take some time to find its uses.

5. hueseph

hueseph Well-Known Member

Just to plug another freebie in there. Here's freamp from fretted synth. It's not awesome but it sounds better than the Digitech pedal I have. No real heavy tones but great for standard rock.

http://frettedsynth.home.att.net/

I'm an Amplitube fan.

Fretted synth also has some cool plugins that let you use your guitar as a midi controller but as you can imagine, tracking is incredibly slow. Anything past 80bpm gets lost and smeared. Cool for a novelty thing though.

6. Link555

Cool more toys to try out! Thanks!

7. hueseph

I just noticed he took down the guitar to midi thing. I'll see if I can find the files if you want to play with them.

8. Link555

For sure that would cool, does it do chords too?

9. hueseph

Yeah. Surprisingly it does, though as you can imagine, the more complex you play, the worse the potential latency/glitches. Still pretty cool though. I'll pm you when I find the files.

10. Link555

Thats would be great thanks.

11. Link555

THE JCM through the NEVE 88RS plug plus the realverb plug sounded very close to the real thing! Thanks guys!