MOTU???

Discussion in 'Microphones & Recording' started by claysims03, Apr 30, 2007.

Tags:
  1. claysims03

claysims03 Guest

Anyone use Motu im looking at the Motu HD192 PCI anyone have any comments on this is it a good unit or can u get the same quality out a cheaper interface and what is the advantges between PCI and Firewire?

2. jwfatgruv

jwfatgruv Guest

Hi All!

I have had an hd192 since they first came out. I'm very happy with it. I have a very complete MOTU setup: hd192, 1296, 2408mkll, and a 308. These are all connected to the PCI-424 card inside my G5 2x2. I also use Digital Performer.

This has been a very solid system for me. I work on it everyday for my living.

3. claysims03

claysims03 Guest

awesome well i have an odd question im looking at the motu HD192 and i dont see any monitor out is there a reason for that do i need another unti for monitor outputs or am i missing something can u help please?

4. Sidhu

Sidhu Active Member

typically u would just use one pair of outputs for monitoring. Do you work on a PC or a Mac ?

Cheers!
    Sidhu

5. claysims03

claysims03 Guest

I use PC havnt taken the MAC jump yet.

6. Sidhu

Sidhu Active Member

well.. i really don't consider it a jump. PC's work just as well now, if not better. Provided they are a careful match of components.

While PCI will be restricted to use within your desktop. A firewire interface is portable and can be used with laptops too.

You might also be interested in checking out the e-mu and RME alternatives.

E-mu have the 1616 line, which has some very fine converters, and reasonable built in pres. It is compatible with both PCI and cardbus for laptops :

http://www.emu.com/products/product.asp?category=505&subcategory=491&product=13552

Also check out the RME line. Very fine gear.

Cheers!
    Sidhu

7. LAVLAB

LAVLAB Active Member

Home Page:
    if you're pc, don't get an older motu w/the 324 card - what a headache!!

8. claysims03

claysims03 Guest

ok i appreciate it

9. Arez

Arez Guest

What the different PCI424 and PCIe424 for MOTU HD192?
    there is effect for recording?

10. gdoubleyou

gdoubleyou Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Uhh, one is PCI, the other is the newer PCIe bus.

:lol: 8)

11. Gib

Gib Active Member

Home Page:
    I originally ran the hd192 on a pc with winxp, and i had some headaches. The drivers just didnt seem to be reliable enough for me to feel safe doing business with that rig. I bought a Mac a couple of years back, and everything was rock solid and seamless from then out. So If your going to stick with PC, id find another alternative. I do love the sound of the converters for the price though! As far as monitoring, I run 2 ch's out, into a controller, into active speakers. Voila!