Multiple channels to drum track?

Discussion in 'Drums' started by bornfidelity, Dec 16, 2007.

1. bornfidelity

bornfidelity Guest

Ya I mean, as an alternative for the Firepod. I want to consider all the options right. A friend of mine once had this device to which he recorded 6 tracks at once and all the tracks were saved onto the device and afterwards he put the tracks on the computer via USB. Maybe workstation is nog the right name for it but I hope you see what I mean.
    Maybe they've got better mic preamps because the Firepod ones seem not to be good, and I've heard of alot of people who had it break down on them. So I'm sortof caught up in the choices here :/

2. bent

bent No Bad Vibes! Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    What, like one of those Roland or Tascam portable deals?

3. bornfidelity

bornfidelity Guest

I don't know. If they are able to translate 8 mics into 8 channels on my PC then, yes please :p

(ofc unless they are bullcrap quality)

4. bent

Home Page:
    I was talking about what your friend had, sorry.

I don't have a Firepod, so I can't really give you any pro's or con's. Presonus, however, is a reputable company (as long as you stay away from the Bluetube :evil: ).

In reading many other posts on the subject of converters, a large number of folks here agree that it's what you use at the front end - before the ADC - and how you manipulate the signal after the fact, that really matters.

5. bornfidelity

bornfidelity Guest

Well, when I was reading Tweaks articles I was under the impression the preamp is one of the most important links in the chain in terms of sound quality. :?

6. bent

Home Page:
    A preamp and an ADC are two different things that often end up in the same box.

Gear like the Firepod, M-Audio Fastrack, and Digi003 are preamp / ADC combos.

Units like the Digi888, Apogee AD8000, and MOTU24I/O are purely A/D converters.

Others, like the Earthworks 1022, Groovetubes Vipre, and the Focusrite 428 are dedicated preamps.

There are many, many more models and many different variations...

7. bornfidelity

bornfidelity Guest

Hm, that brings me to another point, I was also looking for and A/D converter to use my current mixer with the laptop (because obviously no matter how much I'd like it I can't fit PCI in there) and if the A/D is not that important, this little Behringer pet would do? It's got both balanced and unbalanced inputs and it supports 24-bits/96khz, right. So :p

Because with the christmas holidays coming up I'm planning on making a simple album using a few acoustic stringed instruments, an electric organ and a few parts of the drumset. For which I won't need multitracking to the PC yet, so, something like this would suffice.

Oh, a lot of talking but the question is basically, what's wrong with it that it's so cheap? :p

8. hueseph

hueseph Well-Known Member

That just bugs me. Why do they add this spec? It's idiotic. Are they telling us that this little mixer converts the signal to digital then back to analog again. Another layer of conversion for what? Does the mixer have an SPDIF output? No? Then that little spec is likely just a load of crap.

9. bent

Home Page:
    What little behringer? I don't see a model or link...

10. hueseph

hueseph Well-Known Member

They have that spec on virtually all of their mixers. Whether they connect via usb, firewire or not. Their analog mixers have that spec.

11. bent

Home Page:
    Hahaha!

Ya know, I rarely look at the specs - especially on their gear - and that is the funniest damn thing!
    I copied the following from their 1002 Specs .pdf:

2 new state-of-the-art, studio-grade IMP Invisible Mic Preamps with:
    - 130 dB dynamic range for 24-bit, 192 kHz sampling rate inputs
    - Ultra-wide 60 dB gain range
    - Lowest possible distortion 0.0007% (20 Hz - 20 kHz)

And down at the bottom, this statement made me laugh even more:

Conceived and designed by BEHRINGER Germany

:lol:

12. bornfidelity

bornfidelity Guest

Ok. So I'll just use the laptop's onboard line in.

13. bent

Home Page:
    That's purely a marketing scheme aimed at the casual fader pusher (I hope that doesn't sound egotistical...).

What? Instead of an outboard ADC?

14. bornfidelity

bornfidelity Guest

Ya. That was the idea. However, I don't have my mixer anymore (I borrowed it from a friend years ago and suddenly he wanted it back. So perhaps it'd be a solid solution to et a cheap mixer with a USB output. I'll check it out. Any ideas?

15. bent

Home Page:
    With a mixer or without, that's not a good idea. Most onboard soundcards are noisy beyond belief.

Do yourself a favor and watch for sales on the combo boxes like the M-Audio's, Presonus, or the Lexicon.

16. bornfidelity

bornfidelity Guest

Ok, I'm going to get a Firepod and record directly into my laptop for this holiday using the laptop's mic preamp which will probably suck but it's only a weird organ-fueled acoustic album I'm planning on doing anyway.