My mind is spinning

Discussion in 'Mixing & Song Critique' started by UTS, Dec 19, 2001.

1. UTS

UTS Guest

Hi,

I started the Brauner Valvet vs. Neumann M 147 thread a while ago and still haven't come to any conclusion what to buy especially now since some new thoughts have been spinning around in my mind for a couple of days (and nights).
    What do you guys think would be a healthier investment given a budget of 2500$:

A) Buying a really high end sort of mic like a Valvet, Soundelux, Lawson, U 87 whatever and using it with my current Pre Amp (Trident 65...).

B) Going to invest in a quality budget mic such as a TLM 103, Rode NTK, MBHO whatever and buying for the rest of the money (which should be something like 1800 $) a really good pre amp. Maybe a Vintech, Amek, SPL or whatever (new or used).

What do you think would give me better results in general??

Thanks once more.

Markus

2. anonymous

anonymous Guests

How much is the new U47 Sondelux copy? Folks were raving about it at the AES

:eek:

3. drundall

drundall Guest

My vote would be for the latter. I've used the 65 pre's and thought they were scratchy and abrasive sounding. I think you'll really notice the difference with a great preamp, and you can run everything through it.

I'm sure there will be other opinions.

4. osmuir

osmuir Member

sounds like an ok idea, and if you do it, consider the great river pres. you can grab the mp-2, or w/an extra 200, the mp-2 nv. that is an AMAZING pre. heard it at aes, still freakin out about how to convince myself to lay a hand on one. however, if you plan to get both a great mic and a great pre in your collection in future, get the mic now, and wait on the pre [less money wasted on lower end mics]. you can get a U99, for example, for 1,700, and i'll tell you where if you want.

--o

5. atlasproaudio

atlasproaudio Active Member

Home Page:
    Originally posted by owen muir:
    you can get a U99, for example, for 1,700, and i'll tell you where if you want.

Please, tell us who it is.

6. Jon Best

Jon Best Active Member

Well, Fletcher pointed out that Phoenix Audio has the preproduction run of their new $2500 stereo micpre on sale for 699 pounds, which I think would be about a grand. That, and a couple of mid level mics would do you pretty well, IMO.

7. td

td Guest

Owen - Inquiring minds want to know ...... where does one buy a U99 for $1700??

8. MadMoose

MadMoose Active Member

Yeah, tell me where I can get one for $1700 and I'll order one tomorrow.