Name that sound

Discussion in 'Microphones (live or studio)' started by Terabyte, Mar 6, 2006.

  1. Terabyte

    Terabyte Guest

    I'm trying to find a sound effect. I know exactly how it sounds but I don't know what it's name is. So I just wonder whether anyone would recognise what it is if I describe it :)

    They use this sound effect alot in documentaries... particularly kind of chilling murder documentaries etc when they reveal something spin chilling..

    It sounds alot like a reversed cymbal... crossed with what sounds almost like a distorted guitar.
    usually it lasts for a brief 3-4 seconds during which it starts of quietly and finishes loudly in comparison. (could be reversed)
    Very much a "metallic" sound if that means anything. Like a blade slicing against a very thick piece of metal...

    Ok so that much seem like the wierdest description ever if you don't know yourself. but please let me know if you have any idea's I am dying to know what that sound effect is.

    Sorry I looked on the board and had no idea where to put this question.
  2. Terabyte

    Terabyte Guest

    also if it helps

    You can often hear it in movies...

    Say sombody draws a sword... and holds infront of them... the camera focuses on the sword.. and it gleams slightly... the sound effect is played over the top... makes it look "Powerfull" etc..
  3. mattro11roby

    mattro11roby Guest

    Man, I think I know what you mean, its probaly some some keyboard effect. Sorry I can't help, but why do you need to know? Just kidding
  4. UncleBob58

    UncleBob58 Active Member

    Apr 9, 2003
    Fairfield County, CT
    Home Page:
    Can you link us to an example?
  5. Terabyte

    Terabyte Guest

    I can link you to an example! :D:D:D:D:D

    finally i got hold of a sample... but it's taken from the matrix..

    Anyone know how it's made?
  6. restashured

    restashured Guest

    Sounds to me like a reverse cymbal followed by a regular cymbal roll with a lot of reverb. But there are more layers than that. One such layer sounds like a subway speeding by (Doppler Effect). That should get you on the right track.

  7. saemskin

    saemskin Active Member

    Nov 6, 2005
    sounds much to me like something that would come out of either my NL2 or PEK, then the orchstra stab midway though.
  8. Terabyte

    Terabyte Guest

    Can you expand a bit on that?
    How do you obtain it? is it a cerain patch? Name of patch?

  9. saemskin

    saemskin Active Member

    Nov 6, 2005
    Nord Lead 2 synth
    Dave Smith Poly Evolver synth
  10. Terabyte

    Terabyte Guest

    I see... Are they preset patches?
    So set the patch.. press a note and out comes the sound?
  11. mawd

    mawd Guest

    Whatever it's a great sound!

Share This Page