near-field vs mid-field

Discussion in 'Microphones (live or studio)' started by hathabr, Nov 18, 2001.

1. hathabr

hathabr Guest

After looking at various monitors, I noticed that a pair of JBL mid-fields and the Mackie HR824 near-fields were about the same size. If I'm looking for my main set of monitors, should I be going with strictly mid-fields? Is most of the work being done in studios using near-fields? I did some searching on the web but didn't see an answer.

Thanks!

2. hargerst

hargerst Distinguished Member

Near fields are frequently used in a lot of studios to take the room reflections out of the picture somewhat, since a lot of rooms are not particularly pleasent to listen to these days. Well designed rooms cost a lot of money and take some time to build. IFyou want a full range sound to hear how the song is really going to sound, you need decent speakers in a well designed room.

While "nearfield" have some strictly defined standards or performance (which not many manufacturers follow), "mid field" and "far field" are more of a marketing term these days.