1. Dear Guest, if you haven't already... enter to WIN Samplitude Pro X4!
    Dismiss Notice

Need advice on complete recording outfit for solo clarinet

Discussion in 'Woodwinds' started by erict206, Nov 1, 2009.

1. erict206

erict206 Active Member

Need help with Konnekt!

My Konnekt 24D, Beyer M160, and ATH-M50 headphones arrived Wednesday. After hunting down a 4-6 pin Firewire cable, I followed the instructions for setup. But am having an odd issue.

The TCNear Control Panel has about a one second delay between clicking the mouse and the application responding. During the delay, sometimes the cursor spins, other times it simply looks as though nothing is happening.

The delay becomes far worse when I try using the included Cubase LE software. Delay is about two+ seconds. For example, I click on the Devices pull down menu and it takes about 2-3 seconds for the menu to actually expand and display submenus. Another example, when I navigate back and forth from the PDF manual to the Cubase LE window, there is a 2-3 second delay in the Cubase application becoming visible. Acrobat reader and other applications are unaffected and continue to work as usual.

MY SYSTEM
    Dell XPS M140 laptop, about 3.5 years old
    Windows 7, clean install
    Pentium single proc, 2 GHz
    2 GB RAM
    100 GB HD, 70 GB free, freshly defragmented
    I have stopped all non-essential services and generally have no other applications running.

The Konnekt device seems to be fine in stand alone mode. I can monitor through headphones sound coming from the mic, complete with effects. However, the unit is of no valuve to me if it won't work with the computer.

Any suggestions?

2. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

My first recommendation would be to get 2 x 2gb matched ram sticks. 2nd, you need to get an external firewire or usb hard drive to record to. 3rd you may or may not need to get a Texas Instruments based firewire card. The 1394 chip in your Dell is not TI. The one I use is this.

Honestly the external drive is the first place to begin followed by the Express Card firewire adapter. One should never record to the same drive as the operating system.

Additionally, change the buffer latency to something around 1024 and see if that doesn't help.

3. erict206

erict206 Active Member

Someone on the TC Forum gave the following instructions, which solved the problem! I haven't even begun trying to record, yet. If there are additional performance issues, Jack's suggestion is probably the next step.

What you're experiencing is the Windows 7 "Legacy Firewire" issue. I had the same thing drive me crazy for about 2 weeks, after installing Windows 7.

Do the following;

* Select "Start"
    * Right-click "Computer"
    * Select "Manage"
    * Select "Device Manager"
    * Double-click "IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers"
    * Right-click the 1394/Firewire controller listed
    * Select "Update Driver Software"
    * Select "Browse my computer for driver software"
    * Select "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"

From the list of 1394 drivers selected, select the "(Legacy)" driver
    * Select the "Next" button

4. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

Ahhhh. This was a known issue with Win7 beta and RC but not with all interfaces. The RME Fireface series required it. I have a full version of Win7 64bit waiting to go on a laptop so I'll have the opportunity to check that out a little more thoroughly.

All the manufacturers are much more on-board with writing drivers for Win7 (unlike Vista where they actually refused) so I "ass-u-me-d" and so I apologize for missing this one.

Seriously, do look in to purchasing a firewire external hard drive. It will make your life happier. Another tip is to download DPC Latency Checker to help check for latency issues in the Dell. Some quick off hand things specific to dell are to disable the modem, bluetooth, wifi, lan, ACPI (under batteries), uninstall the Dell Quickset utility, turn off Windows Update, and probably a few other things that are slipping my brain housing group. Any of these items you need normally can be "enabled" after you're done recording or editing.

5. erict206

erict206 Active Member

Thanks again, Jack. I'll keep all your suggestions in mind in case performance becomes an issue.

Some general feedback after finally having a chance to try out the setup...

First, the sound is light years beyond anything I had ever acheived previously. Tonal quality of the Beyer M160 mic is beautiful. It's the first time I have recorded myself and had the clarinet sound like an actual clarinet. The instrument's mid range sounds accurate and subtle, the highs sweet and round, and the lows are grainy and fat without any hint of boominess--exactly what I was looking for.

Second, *so far* the old Dell laptop has been adequate--no glitches or dropouts. I'll use it for now since it's convenient but probably will not invest in any upgrades. Instead I will move to a desktop with a Cat5 KVM extension kit to keep the CPU's fan out of my recording. THAT machine already has a couple terabyte harddrives (with room for much more) and I'll install a good firewire interface.

Third, I have a lot to learn about how to use Cubase LE. The included tutorials seem good for getting things kick started, but I can see having some questions for the DAW Pro Audio forum at some point.

Fourth, the ATH-M50 headphones are excellent with a smooth, detailed sound. Perfectly comfortable for the three hours I wore them this afternoon.

Finally, the Konnekt is fantastic. The realtime reverb/compression sound excellent and they are fun to use. They turn my spare bedroom into a concert hall.

In case it's not obvious, I am thrilled with the kit!

Next steps...
    1. Monitors.
    2. Tune the room.
    3. Move to desktop computer.