New 2 channel preamp for me??

Discussion in 'Preamps / Channel Strips' started by Doug102938@aol.com, Aug 22, 2003.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

1. Doug102938@aol.com

Doug102938@aol.com Active Member

Hi all Im facing a little bit of a delima
    Ok I now have 6 channels of preamplification (at least I will soon)

2 channels langevin am 16
    2 channels SSL (custom racked)(E series i believe)
    2 channels of Sebatron vmp 2000e (cant wait for this beauty to come!)

I have a Presonus m 80 with jensens and texus instuments op amps (the guy who had it before me tweaked it) but since im kinda out growing it and figure i could take the money from it and get 2 more channels for my 8 channel DAW, What are you thoughts on the RNP or the sytek pre amps? Can they hang with these boys? any other sugestions in the 800 dollar department maybe a little more? Im in to obscure sleeper pieces and the unique,some body know of something we are all unaware of? thanks! :D
    Doug

[ August 22, 2003, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: Doug102938@aol.com ]

2. tmix

tmix Guest

I have 4 channels of RNP and really love them. They are clear but not gritty, have tons of headroom (great for drums) and are quite reasonably priced. I had bought one pair and when I got ready to add, after looking at the the other offerings, stuck with a good thing.
    I'd buy more if I needed to.

3. Richard Monroe

Richard Monroe Active Member

Home Page:
    The new redesigned Joemeek twinQ should be available very soon. The old one is a pretty good preamp. I have it racked with an Avalon AD2022 and it still sees lots of duty, especially on vocals, where I often prefer it to the Avalon. Great on overheads also, its optocompressor gives you a distinct but pleasant sound that might complement your rack well.
    The new one will have 5 band EQ, as well as the capability to move the transformer in and out of the signal chain. The twinQ is a very underated preamp.-Richie

4. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Well-Known Member

The only single rack space dual mic pre's I like or know that are great are:

Two API 512C in a 5000H rack
    Langevin Dual Mic pre
    Manley Dual Tube
    Neotek MicMAX which is obsolete and hard to find.
    Grace 201
    True Systems P2

The Sytek appears to be a scaled down Neotek MicMAX and while not quite as good, is still a great value.

I recently traded some services for a near new Meek VC1Qcs thinking I would just use the compressor now and then but that sucker really surprised me! I have ended up using that box on kick, snare, bass, ac guitar and a few times vocals.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed