New Asus P4T533-C

Discussion in 'Computing' started by Opus2000, May 7, 2002.

Tags:
  1. knightfly

knightfly Active Member

Hey, TD - "launch it via trebuchet" - Great idea!! Can I add some to the load? Got a few "cannon balls" of my own... Did you by chance see PBS's story on the trebuchet DIY fest over in (I think) Scotland? Man, those things are wicked when done right! They were launching sandstone balls about 3 feet in diameter, several hundred yards and blasting holes thru 3' thick brick walls big enough to ride a horse through! What a trip... Steve

2. teddancin

teddancin Active Member

HAHA, yeah, sure did knightfly (though I must say I've been a fan of the good ol' trebuchet for many years now)! That one guy had one that'd launch a piano, then he decided to launch a volkswagon beetle! There's something oddly pleasing about that. I'm totally going to build my own, and maybe one day I'll be able to trebuchet a house into the pacific ocean or something! Hehe.

3. Opus2000

Opus2000 Well-Known Member

Hey ted you don't need to build one to put it in the pacific...just wait till all of cali drops off the face of the earth for that to happen! :D

4. SonOfSmawg

SonOfSmawg Well-Known Member

Oh, great, now I'm the laughing stock! Thanks a lot, guys!
    Iwill called at 11AM today. My puter works ... sorta. They had to install a BIOS update which fixed an issue with Samsung memory. However, also, they found that my video card wasn't compatible with the XP333 or several of their other boards. They recommended that I buy a good GeForce or Matrox card for it. They had it running while they were talking to me, with a GeForce4 card in it, and said it was all set. They said it was being shipped back to me today, but I'll have to get a new video card before I can get it up and running. I'm thinking ... a Matrox G550 from Newegg. Sound good?

5. Opus2000

Didn't I ask you that SOS? I had asked you if the Video card was the AGP split with the 1.5V?
    I knew it.... :roll:
    Opus

6. SonOfSmawg

Opus: "I had asked you if the Video card was the AGP split with the 1.5V?
    I knew it.... "
    Ummm ... huh? AGP split with the 1.5v? I have no clue what you're talking about.
    My Appian Geronimo Pro is a PCI video card. Does that have anything to do with what you're saying? I tried another PCI video card, but that didn't work either. As far as splitting any voltages ... ??? ... please explain. You know me ... you might as well be talking about splitting an atom ... lol. I know the basics about how things should be connected, and some of the do's and don'ts, but I'm no puter genius ... obviously.
    Okay, anywho, I have to buy an AGP video card. For safety's sake, I'm guessing that I should get a Matrox G550. As you know, the PC will eventually be running a SS system, but for now, I'll be using it for playing games, internet, and graphics design. Will the Matrox card be real good for playing high tech games? Given the fact that the PC will never be used for host-based recording, will I possibly be better-off with a different video card for gaming? Maybe a 64Mb GeForce? Or an ATI 8500? Please advise. I need to order right away ... the stuff will be back from Iwill any day.

7. SonOfSmawg

8. knightfly

knightfly Active Member

SOS, the Matrox dual head cards (G450, G550) are optimized for what they do best, which is 2D, not 3D, dual display primarily for business use. They might be OK for non-realtime graphics such as CAD/Photoshop, etc, but they suck for games. Pick up almost any issue of MaximumPC mag and they'll tell you which is the latest greatest 3000 whiz-bang game video card. Almost all of those will impact audio performance when tweaked for best frame rate and realism in games - Whatever card you use, it should NOT be on the PCI bus if you're doing anything that requires massive thru-put to hard drive (PCI bus).

If you want this PC to later run your SS system, and won't want to upgrade everything to the latest/greatest at that time, I would buy TWO video cards that are compatible with your machine TODAY. One would be the G550 (test it and then put it back in the box and save it for later) the other would be whatever current gamer type card you can afford. Put that card in the 'puter, play games, draw, etc, then change back to the G550 when you get the bux for the SS system. Both of these cards should be AGP in order not to clog the PCI bus. Getting both cards now will ensure that when you get the SS system, you'll have compatible technology for your 'puter that will support multi-monitors when that becomes important to you.

I think what Opus was talking about on voltages, is that newer AGP cards run on lower (1.5 volt) voltages and some older Mobo's are not compatible. I don't remember all the details and I have no use for AMD crap for audio machines, so no experience there. What I do know is that I would rather spend time playing the several instruments I sorta play than batting my head on an un-cooperative 'puter that could be a working machine by just spending a couple hundred more dollars on an Intel system that actually works.

Not tryin' to rag on you, just a wakeup call from someone who's done his share of "blood-soaked brick walls" - If you want to ^#$% with computers, get an AMD system and try to make it work for audio. If you want to make music, do an ANUS and get back to playing your guitar. You've helped me out before, this is my attempt at returning the favor... Steve

9. SonOfSmawg

Steve, believe me ... that's good advice. If I had it to do all over again, I'd build an ANUS. I had no idea of the $*^t I'd be getting into with this damn AMD. However, the damage is done.
    The shipment from iWill is due to be delivered to me tomorrow. The iWill tech assured me that the system is up and running and that the specs are real good on it. They "played" with it a bit, and told me that I can O/C it quite a bit if I want to. It's a 950 Athlon, so my idea is just to tweak it a hair to bring it up to a gig, but that's it. I don't want to push it.
    I guess I'll go with a GeForce video card as opposed to an ATI. I gather that they're better all around. I might have to drive in to Vegas today, if so I'll see if I can get a deal on one there. If not, I guess I'll have to order one from Newegg or Mwave.
    Thanks for the info on the G550. If I get a GeForce with dual monitor support, then I won't need to get both, so that's an option, too. I'll just have to see what I can find.

10. knightfly

knightfly Active Member

SOS, I know what you mean. In my "neck-o-the-woods", it's called closing the barn door after the horse gets out...

I would be really careful getting a non-Matrox video card with the idea of actually using the dual head feature - most of the ones I've seen have more restrictions than your average cell phone plan! Second output only Digital, or only SVGA, or only digital unless you buy a daughter card for XGA, etc - The matrox lets you use a second XGA monitor, or a composite video monitor up to 1280 x 1024, etc - Caveat Emptor to the 9th power, man. Try to ask all the questions you could ever imagine coming up as if you were actually installing and using the second monitor. If you don't like the answers, RUN!!! Best of luck, it's about fuckin' time you had some of the other kind... Steve

11. SonOfSmawg

Yeah, I know what you mean about the dual display options. I will be using the dual monitor feature sometimes, and they're both regular CRT monitors.
    I found one that looks like just what I need. It's a MSI GeForce4 MX440 VTP. With shipping, it'll run me $107. Here's the link, tell me what you think...
    http://www.msicomputer.com/product/vga/vga_detail.asp?model=g4mx440-vtp
    I think it will be adequate for everything I'll need to do, both now and later.

12. Opus2000

my bad SOS...I forgot you had a PCI :p
    Opus

13. SonOfSmawg

Hehehe, you gotta quit smokin that $*^t, Bro. Those munchies will make you FAT! :D

14. knightfly

knightfly Active Member

Hey, Opus - if not from over-WORKING, maybe from over-TOKING??? :=)

SOS, checked out the link and the only MINOR fly in the ointment you probably won't care about. The MSI card apparently supports only up to 1024 x 768 in TV out mode. This would be a possible problem for me, but you may not care. Here is the problem for me: I intend to set up two computers, one for soft synths/samplers, and one for tracking. The only diff between the two will probably be # of drives. I already have one 21" Idek monitor on the old DAW, and plan to get another so each 'puter can have a 21". For the second monitor on each, I intend to try a TV Monitor first (already have one) on screens such as virtual faders, and other not-so-critical screen real estate. In order to get at least 24 faders across a screen, you need at least 1280 x 1024. The Matrox card does this, but won't satisfy YOU for gaming. So, if you won't care about slightly less resolution (and real estate) when using a TV Monitor on the second video out, then no prob - Go with the MSI. Seems like a good price for all it does. Just make sure it's the VTP version, so it won't limit your options.

Plus, if it doesn't work we'll BOTH blame Opus, now that we have his signed confession regarding "smoke"... Steve (sounds of evil laughter fading into triangular dither)

15. Opus2000

nah SOS...I got a high metabolism..for which my roomate truly hates me for ;)
    Opus

16. SonOfSmawg

I appreciate you bringing that to my attention, but I'll probably never use the TV out. I just need the two VGA outs. I have a 17" and a 15", one for the Mac, & one for the PC, but I'll occasionally unplug the one from the Mac and use it.
    The puter parts are scheduled to be delivered today via UPS. So, I'll go ahead and order the graphics card today, and as soon as it gets here I should be ready to rock. I'm going to have a positive attitude, and call it, "The Final Build". That, plus if it doesn't work this time I'm going to dismantle the mother fucker with an axe, so there won't be another build ... LOL.

17. Tommy P.

Tommy P. Well-Known Member

Hey now! :eek:

18. knightfly

knightfly Active Member

Make that a DULL axe - more swings = more frustration released... :=)

19. Tommy P.

There may be more fustration trying to get dual VGA monitors to work with an Nvidia based card. I've read they never worked well. But Matrox software for dual set-up is so polished...

But hey, if you need dual VGA and respectable gaming/3D, how would the ATI RadeonVE fill that bill? Its less expensive too. ;)

20. Tommy P.

Its been a while since I sold off my two Mac comps, but I remember I could use a PC monitor with the Mac and an adapter, but the Apple monitors don't work with PC's. Is this still true? :confused: