New, need help with technical lingo

Discussion in 'Microphones (live or studio)' started by funkbomb, Jun 5, 2004.

  1. funkbomb

    funkbomb Guest

    I'm eager to learn about recording and perhaps becoming a sort of acoustical engineer, I find this site to be so helpful! I was reading an article on EQing drums and I quote:

    "SNARE: I usually cut 1k about 3dB, and roll off anything under 600hz using the high pass filter, in the mids only. THen I select the 80 hz or 100 hz shelf if its available."

    Now, my understanding of this is that he is taking down the level of 1k 3dB, then using a filter (I have the preset) to completely take away anything below 600hz, but leaving 80 or 100 up normally.

    This is my understanding of what he means:
    for some reason that only worked for me if I typed it in.

    If I did that right, which I probably didn't, why doesn't it sound right?

    My questions are:
    What do "roll off", "cut" and "shelf" mean?
    Are there any other terms I should know?
    Is there a website anyone recommends for beginners?

    What is a parametric equalizer?

    Thanks. It's really exciting to have the help of pros available.
  2. Kurt Foster

    Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

    Jul 2, 2002
    77 Sunset Lane.
    This ....
    ... cannot be correct. ..... "roll off anything under 600hz" should probably read .... "roll off anything under 60hz". That would make much more sense..

    "Roll off" means to turn down ..

    "Cut" means to turn down also ...

    "Shelf" is a type of EQ curve. You have bell shaped EQ curves and shelf curves.

    Bell shaped EQ curves are usually used for mid frequency band boost or cuts. They will boost or cut the eq in a specified region then return to flat after a few octaves. How wide or narrow the "bell" is is controlled by the bandwidth or "Q" (for quality) control.

    Shelf curves, boost the sound at a certian frequency and then continue on, never returning to flat.. Shelf EQ's are usually used on lows and high frequency bands.

    Kurt Foster
  3. realdynamix

    realdynamix Well-Known Member

    Feb 23, 2001
    The part "in the mids only" tends to throw this info into confusion. The term "using the high pass filter" is like Kurt said, deals with the low end (probably 60HZ), where the rumble and subsonic sound lives.

  4. tripnek

    tripnek Active Member

    Jun 9, 2003
    Yuo may want to do a little study on EQs in general.
  5. funkbomb

    funkbomb Guest

    thanks! my questions have been answered. Good articles too; I'll definately be using them.
  6. cruisemates

    cruisemates Active Member

    Jan 28, 2004
    Home Page:
    One thing not mentioned that is a little weird is that the phrase "low pass" actually means "High Cut". You set a low pass filter to filter out highs, which means you are more concerned with high freqs than lows. The name sounds like you use it to control low freqs, but it is actually used to control high freqs.

    Why is it called this, I dunno....

Share This Page