New to recording Jazz...suggestions?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by SWhite, Mar 4, 2011.

1. SWhite

SWhite Active Member

Hey guys,
    I'm new to the forum, and I predominantly record rock/metal bands but I've recently asked by an acquaintance to record is his jazz group (Instrumentation: drums, bass, piano, tenor sax).

I'm running PT 8, using an 8-pre interface and have pretty good mics, but i've been using a lot of drum replacement software thats been getting me good results

any advice on things I should be aware of, such as techniques that differ from those one would use recording rock, or any other info would be much appreciated

Thanks

2. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

The most important thing to determine is what kind of drummer you have. A real old school jazzer is better off with two overheads and a room mic. A fusion drummer can be miced like a rock drummer. Which is it?

URB or electric? What kind of piano? What kind of room is available?

3. SWhite

SWhite Active Member

thanks for your input. they're playing jazz standards. hes more of an old school drummer, and I don't have the greatest room to work with (my basement) so i've close mic'd the drums. the bassist is using a mix of upright and electric. not quite sure how to record the upright although he said it has a pickup so I can always fall back on that. the piano is a midi controller and i'm using an NI instrument plugin for the sounds.

4. Herbeck

Herbeck Active Member

Software pianos could be a problem if you want a natural sound.
    Often heavily panned bass left treble right, and the piano seems to be allover the place.

Cheers,

Herbeck

5. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

You'll want a LDC for the upright. A pickup just doesn't do a nice bass justice. If you need to close mic then level with and 12" from the f hole and angle the mic up whatever degree to aim at the shoulder.

6. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

My preference for the drums would be something like the Glyn Johns method. If the room was good I'd be up for two overheads and a room mic.

On the URB I agree with John on a LDC pointed at the f hole. But you can also try a dynamic - RE20, SM7, even an SM57. If he wants a lot of string on the fret board sound try a SDC pointed up from the bridge to the neck. You can use foam to hold the mic IN the bridge for this.

For the sax I like ribbon mics. A Sennheiser 441 is another common choice. About the length of the body away from the sax pointed at the middle of the body - not the bell.

As usual, YMMV. Experiment.

7. SWhite

SWhite Active Member

Thanks a lot for the advice, had good results with the Glyn johns today on the drums. and got a good sound from the bass with an mxl 990 a sm57