new to recording

Discussion in 'Microphones (live or studio)' started by ponso, Sep 19, 2005.

  • AT5047

    The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

  1. ponso

    ponso Guest

    hi i just bought myself a software acid music, and i want to record some some songs that i am trying to write myself.. im using an ordinary mic, like the mics for voice chattings..and the sound is so slow.. or if i make the volume high it also distorts the sound.. what can i do to be able to record well i am using a LAPTOP amd athlon..

    pls help thanx

  2. phantompower

    phantompower Guest

    If you want to record higher quality sound, you should look into buying a firewire or USB interface for your laptop. This is a device, basically an external soundcard, that will convert sound from analog microphones into accurate digital sound. Even sooner, though, I would get a higher quality microphone then those used for voice chats - they dont offer an accurate capture of sound as we hear it. Getting a dynamic mic, like the good ol' Shure SM57, will solve a lot of your sound quality problems, but once you get a more professional microphone, you'll also need to get a pre-amp to make its volume loud enough before entering the computer. These preamps are often built into the above mentioned interfaces. You can get away without an interface for a little while, and plug a pre amp directly into your laptop's sound-in (if it has one) but it will only satisfy your recording urges until you break and upgrade.
    $$$ is always an issue
    hope this helps?
  3. ponso

    ponso Guest

    what is usb interface? is that device? where can i get it.. and with that i can use any ordinary mic?... im really sorry but i really new with this kind of stuff.. but thanx for the info..
  4. phantompower

    phantompower Guest

    an interface is a box that, on one end, you plug in your microphone(s), and the other end plugs into your computer, into either a firewire or USB port, depending on the interface. It converts the analog signal of your microphone into a digital signal. M-Audio is an example of a company that makes a wide variety of interfaces to match what your looking for, but its definitly not the only company. But, you could go to the maudio website (probably and find their interfaces section. An interface can be used with any kind of microphone, but you need to put a pre-amp between the microphone and the interface. Many interfaces come with a pre-amp or more already built in. you can get audio interfaces from most music stores
  5. ponso

    ponso Guest

    okay.. thank you very much now i understand a little.. i also would like to know how to use this acid music.. th e loops and all.. but i guess i have to learn it by myself.. okay thanx
  6. UncleBob58

    UncleBob58 Active Member

    Apr 9, 2003
    Fairfield County, CT
    Home Page:
    Do a Google search, lots of Acid groups out there (Hmmm, that doesn't sound quite right.....).
  7. timtu

    timtu Guest

    Don't take the brown acid...

Share This Page