Noise during Recording! Electric Current Noise?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by mactreouser, Jul 26, 2016.

1. mactreouser

mactreouser Active Member

Hi,
    Attached mp3 was showing the NOISE that I was/am facing during recording section. What was that issue and where was it come from, still, how to solve it?

Recording setup:
    MacBook Pro
    USB Audio Interface
    Mic XLR input
    Power supplies from the same source

Attached Files:

2. Sean G

Sean G Well-Known Member

Try a process of elimination.

Out of curiosity, what driver and interface are you using?

If you haven't tried these already -

1) Try adjusting the buffer settings for your audio interface. A buffer size set too low or on a wrong size can cause crackles and pops.

2) Try installing the ASIO4ALL driver found here http://www.asio4all.com/ and you should always use the latest version with any driver.

3) Try another USB cable to eliminate a fault with the current one.

4) Try another XLR cable if you have another.

5) Try unplugging the power supply from the MacBook Pro...some power supplies for laptops can cause issues when recording audio. If this is the problem replace the power supply.

My money is on 1)...the buffer size ;)

Hope this helps.

- Sean.

3. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    On hearing the noise from your sample, I too would have said a buffer or other driver problem. However, the waveforms tell a different story.

Before interpreting those, I have to ask: are the clicks you recorded absolutely raw, done with simple I/O and without any waveform processing or other manipulation in your DAW?

Please specify the make and model of your microphone and audio interface, and also the DAW you are using.

4. bouldersound

bouldersound Real guitars are for old people. Well-Known Member

Same here. It's almost certainly something on the digital side of things.

5. mactreouser

Unfortunately, there is no luck... I've turned the buffer size from 32 to 1024, the noise still appeared and printed as attached picture!

Turned eveything OFF / Disconnected like devices, speakers, lights... Still the same!

Btw, I was using MacBook Pro with Earth/Grounded + USB audio interface.

p/s: just did a test -- Unplugged the power plug for recording, the Noise still there! o_O

Attached Files:

6. bouldersound

Try disabling the laptop's wifi.

7. mactreouser

Unfortunately, TRIED and still the same! USB Device defeated? In fact, Strange, It'll only happens when Record Enable or during recording... Playback & Mixing with it, no issue at all!

8. bouldersound

That sort of narrows it to the input side of the interface, from the mix pre to the USB connection.

I'm going back on "certainly digital" and suggest re-reading Boswell's last two paragraphs.

Is your phone set to airplane mode? That's not what I'm used to hearing from phone interference but it's worth a shot.

9. mactreouser

Thanks for your efforts!
    In fact, My phone was not in the room! Erm... Perhaps I have to switch OFF the WiFi System in the compound? :ROFLMAO:
    I was just did another round of test... Turned OFF everything in the room + Nothing on the Mic Pre and Outputs from the Audio Interface + Only MacBook Pro without Power Cord, which means only hooked up with USB Cable... Guess What? Still got the Noise! :mad:

Oh Lord, what's wrong? Driver? (latest one from official site) Audio Interface hates MBP or Logic Pro (Bugs issue) ? :cool:

10. pcrecord

pcrecord Don't you want the best recording like I do ? Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Please specify which audio interface and mic you are using.

11. mactreouser

For this case:
    Zoom R24
    SM57A
    Behringer C2

NOTE: in fact, the noise keep appearing Even Though Mics (and cables) were not hooked on!

12. paulears

paulears Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Silly question but you've made no mention of what you are doing? Recording to the multitrack or using the multitrack as the A to D and then recording it's output via USB to your mac using software? Are you monitoring from the mac's output, and that is where the click comes from. I'm just wondering if despite changing the sample buffers, whatever you are recording on is taking charge, and applying it's sample settings rather than the generic ones in the mac sound options?

13. pcrecord

pcrecord Don't you want the best recording like I do ? Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Ok without any mic or cable plugged in !
    If you record in multi-channel, does all the channels get this click ?
    What if you deactivate phantom power ?
    What if you lower all the gains down ?
    Could you bring it to a friend to eliminate the possibility it's something in the AC power of your house..
    Or use a UPS and run it on the battery ?

In the end, the AC adapter or the zoom itself might be defective...

14. thatjeffguy

thatjeffguy Active Member

Home Page:
    I once encountered a similar sounding click when the sample rate setting on my interface didn't match the setting in my DAW.
    ~Jeff

pcrecord likes this.
  15. bouldersound

It really does sound a lot like a like a clocking error. Here's what one of those clicks looks like up close. The character of the spikes is to rise in one sample then fall at a decreasing rate over 5 or more samples.

Hm, I guess a 130k jpeg file is too much for the site to handle.

pcrecord likes this.
  16. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    I agree with Boulder. This looks like a clocking error in the digital domain rather than a buffer overflow effect. Digital words are being assembled incorrectly, probably when going from serial to parallel, and these create sudden huge single-sample values of both polarities. When these are passed through the a.c. coupled circuits in the interface, you see a capacitor-discharge return from the large wrong value to the next small correct value.

Edit: I've just checked, and this is more-or-less what I said in July last year.

audiokid likes this.
  17. mactreouser

As USB Audio Interface deals with Logic Pro 9
    Monitoring Output from R24
    Sample Buffer Size, from lowest to highest, Issue is remaining

18. mactreouser

Multitrack Recording, as the attached file below, not every track every time
    Phantom Power switched OFF all though
    Gain all the way down to the LEFT which is no amount applied at all though
    AC Power, Crackling Noise still there even I recorded without POWER plug for MacBook Pro (Battery) & Zoom R24 (powered by USB from Mac)

Attached Files:

19. mactreouser

As mentioned, tried all buffer size, no luck at all

20. mactreouser

Agree, It seems Clocking Issue. In fact, I've try to route the Output Clock to Mac's Output (Headphone) and resampled for R24 (https://support.apple.com/en-my/HT202000), result never changed :(