1. Dear Guest, if you haven't already... enter to WIN Samplitude Pro X4!
    Dismiss Notice

Noise floor vs Noise floor when speaking

Discussion in 'Mastering' started by wuhan_87, Feb 25, 2019.

1. wuhan_87

wuhan_87 Active Member

Hello,

Is there any reason why my noise floor would differ while speaking vs when just recording the tone of the room?

My recorded noise floor seems to be lower when speaking; -85 and higher when I just sample the "tone" of the room, it's at -60. Is that because my voice is blocking most of the noise floor?

Sorry if this question seems basic, total newbie at this.

Cheers! :)

2. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

signal masks noise.

3. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    It's not easy to be of help when you have said nothing about the room in which you are recording, the equipment you are using or the method by which you are determining the noise floor.

Check that you do not have AGC (automatic gain control) turned on somewhere in your signal chain and that you are not using any other form of compression.

4. Makzimia

Makzimia The Minstrel Well-Known Member

I want to add to Boswell’s question. What are you trying to achieve?. Do you want the room noise?. If not, use a gate to eliminate all noise and go from there. If you want a true recording, with room and voice, use nothing in the chain other than mic, and make sure you just set the level of its input to desired level.

Cheers.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed