Nylon Pop Screens

Discussion in 'Recording' started by John Stafford, Oct 26, 2004.

1. John Stafford

John Stafford Well-Known Member

Hi everyone. I'd like to know what you think about pop screens. I bouht one today from Maplin -on this side of the Atlantic it's roughly equivalent to the Radio Shack.

I was quite surprised by the difference it made to the upper end. It's not as invasive as one of those foam windscreens, but I thought these nylon screens were supposed to be transparent.

Any ideas?

John Stafford

2. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Well-Known Member

Not all pop screens are made the same. Yes, they affect the high end. At times this is a good thing, other times not. There is also a metal pop screen made by Stiedman that is very effective and yet keeps more of the high end intact.

3. Randyman...

Randyman... Well-Known Member

I like the Stedman, too. Easy to keep clean, does not smell funky (no mildew smell), and it was like $40 with a gooseneck and clip! The brightness is not affected, and it is still very effective on stopping the plosives...

:cool:

4. zemlin

zemlin Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I tend to be a DIY type - and I've been looking into regular fiberglass window screen. I have not actually made a pop-stopper with it yet, but I've done a little bit of testing and it seems to stop normal blasts quite effectively. I figure two layers with a gap might do the trick - and as open as it is, I can't imagine it would have a noticeable impact on the sound.

Any second opinions?

5. maintiger

maintiger Well-Known Member

I bought a stedman too and will never go back to the mesh or teh foam ones- they don't dull your vocals at all-

6. John Stafford

John Stafford Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for the info. I had seen a metal screen on the Neumann website, but it's great to know I don't have to pay Neumann prices!
    John Stafford