Octopre vs. Digimax

Discussion in 'Preamps / Channel Strips' started by mardyk, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Midlandmorgan

Midlandmorgan Active Member

Jeesh...Alesis hammers?!? EVERYONE knows they are Behringer hammers with Alesis nameplates...

My only point for getting into this at all was that when funds are an issue, then there are some lower cost alternatives...The Digimax and Octopre are just examples...given a much higher equipment budget, the lower end stuff will be the first out the door. Until that time, the Octo and some other lowball stuff will do.

There is never a good enough...but there is a good enough until funds are available...big difference.

Peace, y'all.

2. Doublehelix

Doublehelix Well-Known Member

Interesting Eric. I have had the Digimax for over two years now as well, and not a single problem! I have it rack mounted without any spaces around it, and it does not seem to be overly hot to me. I wonder if yours has a problem of some type. Now the power supply unit does get hot as hell, but it sounds like you are talking about the unit itself.

I also use the digital outs, and no problems whatsoever. I am clocked to a Lucid Genx6-96 at 44.1, and it locks in just fine.

I also use the limiters for things like drums and bass, but not vox. If I do any messing with the vox going to tape, it is through my outboard compressor (RNC) or De-esser (dbx). I like the limiters, and they can really help to tame the signal a bit, but as with anything else, subtle use is best imho.

Good luck, hopefully you will be able to get your issued worked out.

3. idylldon

idylldon Guest

Kurt, where are you seeing these prices? I haven't been able to find a Sebatron dealer in the U.S. (this from Sebatron themselves).

Also, who carries the JLM product line?

I'll be in the market for some more mic pre channels shortly and want to check out all the options.

Thanks in advance,
    --
    Don

4. mardyk

mardyk Guest

Well, I ended up getting a TLAudio M3 Tubetracker instead.
    I found one one Ebay for approx 2000$. It's even got the digital card installed, which is nice. I've used this thing before and I just love the sound it has. Both the pres and the Eq. I especially like using it as a summing bus from my DAW. I love that warm tube sound. My next thing now is to get one really good clean solid state pre for vocals etc. I've been thinking a bout a Grace 101. It can be had for about 595$ at Audiomidi.com. What are your thoughts on these units? Both the TLA and the grace. I saw some people over at GS slagging the M3 off, but I really don't care 'cause I love it.

5. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Well-Known Member

I got both those prices from the manufacturers themselves. Both companies direct market. Chris (the owner of RO) is a dealer for Sebatron in Canada, ehhh. There is a dealer also on the East Coast but I don't have any info on that. There are no dealers for JLM as far as I know.

I know Sebatron will deal on that price but I can't say if JLM will.

Sebatrons site
    JLMs site

Hope that helps. Both these pre amp packages are monsterously killer! You won't be disappointed, I promise.

6. idylldon

idylldon Guest

Thanks a million, Kurt. I will check them out.

Cheers,
    --
    Don

7. andreswer

andreswer Active Member

http://www.watts-up-pro-audio.com/ is a sebatron dealer in the US.

8. Kurt Foster

Sebatron Canada is the West Cost dealer. Chris has set up a shipping drop in the US, so customs are only dealt with once. Sebatron will ship to that drop where the pre can be forewarded to you with no delay. Kurt

9. Bowisc

Bowisc Active Member

:roll:

Bowisc

10. golli

golli Active Member

Now that hurts, Kurt.
    I've come to the conclusion that if I need anything, I'll rent it.
    All those threads, which start out as an exchange of info but end up as pissing contests, lead me to the belive that I should rent the gear I need. I totally buy into the idea that if a unit costs more it is, in fact, better made with better components and will give you the result you're after. But unfortunately I have wery limited funds. So how can I get a sound that pleaces me?? I can say for sertain that going into a professional studio ( and therefore paying theyr handsome fee's) is no guaranty for a pleacing sound.
    Anyway this recording thing is wery much of interest to me but my gear is located in a bedroom. So what does that make me??

11. Kurt Foster

If the talk is pro then there should be something for everyone. Beginners can learn, pros can learn and everyone’s interest is held. But pros won’t hang while having to wade through nothing but “newbie” talk. You all want answers from pros don’t you? If you don’t there are lots of bulletin boards that go that way. Usually the topics are things like “I think my teacher is gay”.

Without the pros, everyone gets hurt because eventually, there is no one to offer good advice and we end up with stupid answers and topics on the forum. Without something to engage the pros, how can you expect them to hang and answer the questions? It’s not like they get paid to do this.

There was an independent "review" of RO posted by Chris a while ago where he asked everyone to go there and post their honest feelings. One of the criticisms I had to agree with was, RO seemed to be populated more by beginners and "newbies". I have noticed lately that this has begun to turn around and I welcome the change. I for one get a bit weary of the same ten questions re circulating over and over ... “what is the best mic under $50?”, “what are the best monitors for less than $150?”, “what is a mic pre?”

Now I love to turn newbies and aspiring recordists on to recording, don’t get me wrong. But there is a segment of people, who do it for “fun” who are first, horrible musicians. They record at home because they can’t get anyone to play with them or get gigs in public. I term this as, “playing with themselves”. These people are known in some musicians circles as “gherms”.

If the talk is pro, the jewels, nuggets of wisdom, will rub off on the beginners. This is why I am so happy to have guys like Audio Gaff, Recorder Man, Doc, Don, Michael Lambert, Ethan, Wes and Rod just to name a few populate the pages here. There are so many more who regularly contribute wisdom and knowledge and lets not forget the ladies who temper the “T” factor, Wendy, White Swan and Treena.

It’s up to you to decide if you are a bedroom whanker, not me. It’s your call if you want to be a “gherm” or not. You have more control over that than I do. I don’t pass judgment, although I do call ‘em like I see ’em...

12. golli

golli Active Member

I agree with you that the pro's have to hang here so I will get something out of it. That is why I settled on this forum. I think I misunderstood your remark "bedroom" does not have to mean bedroom, silly me :roll: .
    However I do belive that people have to choose their words carefully on the net, so as not to get engaged in useless Fu******g flameposts.
    For me to get a learning experience here, I have to weed out tons of useless posts.
    This getting to be ridiculous. The search engine button needs to be enlargened
    I'm not, in the slightest, offended or anything by you Kurt. I have said it before and say it again that you and Recorderman are the ones to learn from here, and I've found a few good others here to, who give good advice in good manner.
    I found this forum after having seen dosens of useless, negative forums. And recived some good things from people here, you in particular.
    But since sometime, late this sommer there seems to be an open season on you and it is wery evident, I dont see the other frequents here being attacked like this and it is all because of lack of respect of others opinion.
    If people dont like someones view of a pice of audiogear, go and bite a pillow or something or count to 100-1000. Dont write up 100-1000 words of disrespectful BS.
    If there is one examplary citizen here at RO it is IMHO, Alécio Costa.
    The only thing a $2000 micpre is going to get me is a divorce. So I will have to make adjustments/compromises in my search after the perfect sound. I do have ambitions tough.
    Hope this will be the last time I write such a long post.
    :p:

13. spcbrown

spcbrown Guest

surfing through many threads at this site...I've discovered it's Kurt always pissing me off cause he thinks everything somebodyelse uses is crap, especially if it doesn't cost enough.

14. by

by Guest

woops, wronge page :)

15. Kurt Foster

I firmly believe that high end gear sounds better. I really don't think that anyone who is really knowledgeable in the field will argue that point. And cost doesn't have anything to do with if I think something is good or not. I bought a LA2a once for $50 but I still thought it was a great compressor.

So, I don't think that is a fair obsevation. I don't think that everything others use is crap. There are a lot of folks here that use great gear. I do think there are a lot of people who recomend or even push inferior products here because they simply don't understand the differences or because they are acting in self interest in one form or another. If you don't want my advice, then that's fine with me ... don't take it. But if the people who are ignorant of the benifits of high end equipment, only worked with a room full of great gear for a year, I can guarentee that they would never want to go back to using "prosumer" stuff. That's how I came to the "high end" . The first time I did a session on a large format console a light went off in my head and I said to myself, "I get it now".

It is not some form of eliteism or audio snobbery that drives me to make many of the choices or statements I make but rather that I want to help people avoid the wastfull pitfalls I went through on my journey through my expierences in audio. Anyone who stays in this field at some point ends up using and only wanting the great pieces.. so save your dough and don't waste it on cheap stuff. Buy quality from the start and spend your money once.. In the end, if you quit the biz, you will be able to sell it and get much if not all of your money back.

You come off as if I were wageing some kind of "class warfare". Not at all. I have been as broke and "financially challenged" as anyone. I "get it" and I "have a clue" as to what it is like to be deprived. But I still want real gear and I am not happy with something that is half of what it should or could be. I think the human spirit rises to the challenges and goals one sets for themselves. I am encourging people to reach for the stars. Set the bar high, don't "settle" for less. I'll bet that a lot of people who say they can't afford great gear spend a lot of their money on beer, liquor and Da' Kine.. Priorities

The fact is, great gear is expensive because it costs more to make and market. These companies don't pump out tons of this stuff and a lot of them barley break even on their overhead. This is why a lot of them have gone out of business..

16. mjones4th

mjones4th Active Member

Score one for the Visitors!!!

17. by

by Guest

IS there no way to keep what you bought after the divorce?

18. prswamp

prswamp Guest

Ok, so I'm going to bite on all Kurt's praises of the Sebatron and JLM pres....but which one to get.

Usually when I record drums I use 8 mics which leads me to believe an 8 input pre would be best. So that swings me to the TMP8.

On the other hand the Sebatron is a tube pre right? Would that sound better on vocals and drums?

At the end of the day, I'm a guitar player so I need to make sure that sounds best! :) What do you think Kurt. Should I get the Sebatron and save up to get another at some point?

Wifey no gonna likey.

19. Kurt Foster

Ohh, your wife is gonna hate meeeee ... :D
    One of each, Mark. Go for the JLM first. Two reasons.. 8 channels for drums (more is better) and since it is about $550 more expensive than the Sebatron, when you go for the Sebatron you can say "But Honey, it doesn't cost as much" ....

The good news is for all but the most elaborate tracking sessions, this combination for 12 channels, will set you up very well. I can't see any reason you would ever need to buy another mic pre in your life. Both pres are capable of getting different sounds depending on how hard you drive them and the Sebatron can be "double channeled" (output of one channel into anothers input) for even more color. The Sebatron has direct inputs on the front channel to accommodate bass's guitars and keyboards / drum machines, all which it excels at. At lower input levels both the JLM and the vmp 4000e can be relatively neutral sounding. I am finding having the combination of the two a very nice thing. I am sure you will be happy with them.. :tu: Kurt

20. Alécio Costa - Brazil

Alécio Costa - Brazil Well-Known Member

hey, just do what i did: I am married to music and studio stuff.
    Well, the sex part can get problematic...