Octopre vs. Digimax

Discussion in 'Preamps / Channel Strips' started by mardyk, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Doublehelix

Doublehelix Well-Known Member

Those companies are using Alesis chips, but not necessarily as the A/D or D/A chips! I know for a fact the PreSonus is not using the Alesis A/D chips, and that Behringer is not using Alesis A/D in their DDX3216.

Behringer is using AKM A/D and Crystal D/A in their DDX3216...

DDX3216

I can't remember what the Digimax uses, but I spoke with their Tech support folks about upgrading my unit to 96K (mine only goes to 48K), and they gave the details, but I have forgotten now...sorry.

Here is a page from the Presonus web site with a few reviews, and interestingly enough, all 3 reviews talk specifically about the A/D:
    Digimax Specs and Reviews

I really love my Digimax for many uses. I am however in the market for a high-end mic pre right now, and am seriously looking at the Sebatron as well as a few others.

Does that mean that I am going to get rid of my Digimax? No way! My new pres will just be there to compliment the Digimax.

Also Kurt, your comment about "clocking to Cubase" confused me...Cubase is software, not sure how you can clock to that.

With regard to clocking, a common impression is that you can improve the quality of the A/D by clocking to a better clock source. I bought a Lucid Genx6-96, and swear that the converters in the Digimax sound better!!! :) Any comments on the usefulness of a good clock?

2. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Well-Known Member

I would expect them to be using the ADAT optical chips. As far as the A2D or D2A, I wouldn't expect that but I also wouldn't be surprised. Most newer converter chips made by chip compaines today are of high quality design. Interfacing the converters into the analog part of the design is a much bigger issue. And even the best converter chips won't be much good with cheap, sloppy or poor clocking components and circuits.

3. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Well-Known Member

Cubase is the interface control to the hardware clock on the hardware. (PCI card) The hardware must be set to be either master or slave. It is very possible that the PCI card hardware clock is of higher quality than what it is connected to.

4. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Well-Known Member

DH, You busted me! I should have said the clock off the Frontier Dakota card.. AudioGaff knew what I meant... oops! My face is red..